What is the cardinality of R^2?

• Thread starter trap101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cardinality
In summary, the cardinality of R2 can be shown to be the same as the cardinality of (0,1)x(0,1) by constructing a bijective function between the two sets. This can be done by first mapping RxR to (0,1)x(0,1) and then showing that (0,1)x(0,1) can be mapped bijectively to (0,1). If you have already shown that R can be mapped bijectively to (0,1), then the second part should be easy.
trap101
What is the cardinality of R2?

Seems like it should be a fairly simple to explain, yet I'm stuck beyond belief.

Attempt:

R2 = R x R

Now we have shown that the |R| = | [0,1] | but then when I think of possibly combining that fact I'm still somewhat in the same place. How do I "explain" the size of R2?

Physics news on Phys.org
trap101 said:
What is the cardinality of R2?Seems like it should be a fairly simple to explain, yet I'm stuck beyond belief.

Attempt:

R2 = R x R

Now we have shown that the |R| = | [0,1] | but then when I think of possibly combining that fact I'm still somewhat in the same place. How do I "explain" the size of R2?

If you've done cardinal arithmetic and you know |2^N|=|R| then it's pretty easy. Alternatively if you've shown |R|=|(0,1)| then it should be easy to show |R^2|=|(0,1)x(0,1)|. Now try and think in terms of decimal expansions and try to think of a way to construct a bijection.

Dick said:
If you've done cardinal arithmetic and you know |2^N|=|R| then it's pretty easy. Alternatively if you've shown |R|=|(0,1)| then it should be easy to show |R^2|=|(0,1)x(0,1)|. Now try and think in terms of decimal expansions and try to think of a way to construct a bijection.

Ok here is try, feels more like a shot in the dark. This is an attempt at least for the positive Real numbers. Let S = {(x,y) in ℝ2 : x > 0, y > 0}

in terms of a bijective function: let

f(x,y) = (1/x , 1/y)

therefore we know ( or maybe not) that | (1/x , 1/y) | = |(0,1) x (0,1)|

and the other way: |(0,1) x (0,1)| is in ℝ2

therefore the |ℝ2| = |(0,1) x (0,1)| by Cantor Bernstein.

...I tried.

trap101 said:
Ok here is try, feels more like a shot in the dark. This is an attempt at least for the positive Real numbers. Let S = {(x,y) in ℝ2 : x > 0, y > 0}

in terms of a bijective function: let

f(x,y) = (1/x , 1/y)

therefore we know ( or maybe not) that | (1/x , 1/y) | = |(0,1) x (0,1)|

and the other way: |(0,1) x (0,1)| is in ℝ2

therefore the |ℝ2| = |(0,1) x (0,1)| by Cantor Bernstein.

...I tried.

And thanks for trying, but no. How did you prove |(0,1)|=|R|?

Dick said:
And thanks for trying, but no. How did you prove |(0,1)|=|R|?

We proved it in class by first proving that the set of non negative real numbers is the same as the cardinality of [0,1] (closed interval).

From there we showed that the negative real numbers could be mapped to a similar interval say [3,4].

Now we had function "f" that mapped the positive ℝ to [0,1], then we created a function "g" that did the same for the negative ℝ but instead mapped to [3,4]

Then we defined a function "h" that contained "f" and "g" mapping to the respective interval by considering [0,1] U [3,4]

From there |ℝ| <= |[0,4] but as well [0,4] is a subset of ℝ...so by Cantor Bernstein it holds.

just the jist of the proof not the details

trap101 said:
We proved it in class by first proving that the set of non negative real numbers is the same as the cardinality of [0,1] (closed interval).

From there we showed that the negative real numbers could be mapped to a similar interval say [3,4].

Now we had function "f" that mapped the positive ℝ to [0,1], then we created a function "g" that did the same for the negative ℝ but instead mapped to [3,4]

Then we defined a function "h" that contained "f" and "g" mapping to the respective interval by considering [0,1] U [3,4]

From there |ℝ| <= |[0,4] but as well [0,4] is a subset of ℝ...so by Cantor Bernstein it holds.

just the jist of the proof not the details

Certainly is the jist. I think there are probably easier ways to do it. But if you know that just map RxR to (0,1)x(0,1) by taking (x,y) in RxR and mapping the x to (0,1) and the y to (0,1). Won't that do it?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Certainly is the jist. I think there are probably easier ways to do it. But if you know that just map RxR to (0,1)x(0,1) by taking (x,y) in RxR and mapping the x to (0,1) and the y to (0,1). Won't that do it?

This is my concern. I'm trying to understand how that is the cardinality. Since cardiality is the size of a set, what I've gathered is to show the cardinality of a set it's either we get the bijective function or compare it to another set. I don't know. I suppose I'm trying to find some concrete numeric answer to justify the size of R2.

trap101 said:
This is my concern. I'm trying to understand how that is the cardinality. Since cardiality is the size of a set, what I've gathered is to show the cardinality of a set it's either we get the bijective function or compare it to another set. I don't know. I suppose I'm trying to find some concrete numeric answer to justify the size of R2.

Showing you can map RxR to (0,1)x(0,1) bijectively is the start. And if you've shown R can be mapped bijectively to (0,1) that should make it easy. The next part is to show (0,1)x(0,1) can be mapped bijectively to (0,1). If you can do the first part, and you should be able to, then I'll give you some clues for the second part.

Related to What is the cardinality of R^2?

What is the cardinality of R2?

The cardinality of R2, also known as the cardinality of the real plane, is the number of unique points that exist in the Cartesian plane formed by the real number line. This means that for every point on the x-axis, there is a corresponding point on the y-axis, resulting in an infinite number of points.

Is the cardinality of R2 countable or uncountable?

The cardinality of R2 is uncountable, meaning that it cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers. This is because the real plane is continuous and infinite, whereas the natural numbers are discrete and finite.

How does the cardinality of R2 compare to R3?

While both R2 and R3 have an uncountable cardinality, the cardinality of R3 is greater than that of R2. This is because R3 represents three-dimensional space, which includes more points than the two-dimensional real plane of R2.

Can the cardinality of R2 be visualized?

Yes, the cardinality of R2 can be visualized through a graph or plot of the real plane. Each point on the graph represents a unique combination of x and y values, demonstrating the infinite number of points that make up R2.

Does R2 have the same cardinality as other infinite sets?

No, R2 has a different cardinality than other infinite sets, such as the set of all real numbers (R) or the set of all integers (Z). This is because each set contains a different number of unique elements, resulting in different cardinalities.