What is the cause of the slow movement of a large ice floe on a lake?

• Thread starter A.T.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice Lake
In summary,This video shows a large ice floe moving visibly back and forth within a ~30cm range at ~1cm/s. The floe covers only half of the lake, but that almost completely, except a ~1m wide strip at the shore. At the end of the movie the camera pans to show the size of the floe.Assuming that there was a periodic motion as you describe then I think that your proposed cause is plausible: wind-driven oscillation that includes water wave motion.
A.T.
Science Advisor
Here is a video of a large ice floe (~70x140m) moving visibly back and forth within a ~30cm range at ~1cm/s. The floe covers only half of the lake, but that almost completely, except a ~1m wide strip at the shore. At the end of the movie the camera pans to show the size of the floe.

What causes this movement? The ice is melting and probably quite thin. But still, the floe must weight tons. I think it can only move, when the water moves too. Is there some slow wave mechanics caused by wind pressure on the ice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dRe_TFKt84

Physics news on Phys.org
I find it difficult to discern periodic motion of that ice floe from the video. There seems to be no fixed reference to use. How have the figures “~30 cm range at a ~1m wide strip” been arrived at? Which azimuthal direction is that movement in? Where in the image was this measurement made? How was the camera mounted? Was it fixed, or hand-held? At what altitude was it filming from? The zoom out process seemed unsteady so that this viewer had no idea of the eye height above the ice floe without any size reference. What is the depth of the lake? Which direction was the wind from?

Assuming that there was a periodic motion as you describe then I think that your proposed cause is plausible: wind-driven oscillation that includes water wave motion.

Cheers, Bobbywhy

Bobbywhy said:
Assuming that there was a periodic motion as you describe then I think that your proposed cause is plausible: wind-driven oscillation that includes water wave motion.

Would the restoring force then be the force of the water on the floe? How would that create simple harmonic motion?

Bobbywhy said:
I find it difficult to discern periodic motion of that ice floe from the video. There seems to be no fixed reference to use.
You see the bottom of the lake, or rather a wooden coast line wall, that is just under the water line.
Bobbywhy said:
How have the figures “~30 cm range
It might be less in this clip, but it varied. The wooden square pole you see under water is about 7x7cm.
Bobbywhy said:
I wonder if the entire floe is moving like that, or just deforming on the waves.

Last edited:
yup the movement is pretty obvious :)

at the end of the video it showed that the sun was shining.
I wonder what time of the day it was... early ?

I was just thinking that maybe as the sun is rising up over the ice covered lake if there is expansion and contraction occurring in different areas causing the movement ??

Thats assuming a calm windless day. If there was any hint of wind/breeze, then there's another cause of your observed effect :)

Dave

PS ... i love things like this ... Some one notices something that a zillion people may have walked past and not noticed something so subtle as that ... well done on a nice observation :)

Last edited:

1. How do ice floes move on a lake?

Ice floes on a lake can move due to a variety of factors, including wind, water currents, and changes in temperature. Wind can push the ice floes in a certain direction, while water currents can cause them to drift along the surface of the lake. Changes in temperature can also impact the movement of ice floes as they melt and refreeze, causing them to shift and break apart.

2. What causes ice floes to break apart?

Ice floes can break apart due to a variety of reasons, including changes in temperature, wind, and water currents. When temperatures rise, the ice can melt, causing it to become weaker and more susceptible to breaking apart. Wind can also push ice floes into each other, causing them to collide and break apart. Water currents can also cause ice floes to break as they move and shift on the surface of the lake.

3. Can ice floes move against the direction of the wind?

Yes, ice floes can move against the direction of the wind. This is because the wind may not be strong enough to completely push the ice floes in one direction, or there may be other factors, such as water currents, that are influencing the movement of the ice floes.

4. How fast can ice floes move on a lake?

The speed at which ice floes move on a lake can vary greatly depending on the specific conditions and factors at play. Wind and water currents can greatly impact the speed of ice floes, but on average, they can move anywhere from a few inches to a few feet per day.

5. Can ice floes collide with each other?

Yes, ice floes can collide with each other. This can happen due to a variety of factors, including changes in temperature, wind, and water currents. When ice floes collide, they can break apart or merge together, depending on the force of the collision and the size and strength of the ice floes.