What is the centre and radius of convergence for a power series?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the center and radius of convergence for a power series using the ratio test. The final answer is that the series converges for $|4i(z-i)|<1$ which gives $R=\frac{1}{4}$ and $z_0=i$. The limit in the ratio test is $4i(z-i)$ and the center becomes i because the variable $z$ is set to $i$.
aruwin
Hello.
I need someone to explain to me how to find the centre and radius of convergence of power series.
I got the working and the answers but there are some things I don't understand.

$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(4i)^n(z-i)^n}{(n+1)(n+2)}$$

Using the ratio test, we got
$$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \frac{4i(z-i)(n+1)}{n+3}$$= $4i(z-i)$

Ok, in this part, why is the limit $4i(z-i)$? Don't we have to divide all the terms by n?

And the final answer is: $R=1/4, z=i$

Why does the centre become i?

Physics news on Phys.org
aruwin said:
Hello.
I need someone to explain to me how to find the centre and radius of convergence of power series.
I got the working and the answers but there are some things I don't understand.

$$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\frac{(4i)^n(z-i)^n}{(n+1)(n+2)}$$

Using the ratio test, we got
$$\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}} \frac{4i(z-i)(n+1)}{n+3}$$= $4i(z-i)$

Ok, in this part, why is the limit $4i(z-i)$? Don't we have to divide all the terms by n?

And the final answer is: $R=1/4, z=i$

Why does the centre become i?

The series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{s^{n}}{(n+1)\ (n+2)}$ converges for |s|<1, so that is R=1 and $s_{0} = 0$. Setting $\displaystyle s = 4\ i\ (z-i)$ You obtain that the series $\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{\{4\ i\ (z-i)\}^{n}}{(n+1)\ (n+2)}$ converges for $\displaystyle |4\ i\ (z-i)|<1$ so that is $R=\frac{1}{4}$ and $z_{0}=i$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to What is the centre and radius of convergence for a power series?

1. What is the "Centre of power series"?

The centre of power series refers to the point around which a power series is centered. It is usually denoted as "c" and is the point where the power series converges.

2. How is the centre of power series determined?

The centre of power series can be determined by finding the value of "c" that makes the power series converge. This can be done by using various methods such as the ratio test, root test, or the comparison test.

3. What is the significance of the centre of power series?

The centre of power series is an important point as it determines the convergence and divergence of the series. It also helps in finding the radius of convergence and the interval of convergence for the series.

4. Can the centre of power series be a complex number?

Yes, the centre of power series can be a complex number. In fact, in some cases, the power series may only converge for complex values of "c" as opposed to real values.

5. How is the centre of power series used in practical applications?

The centre of power series is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to approximate functions, solve differential equations, and analyze data. It is also used in the construction of mathematical models and in making predictions.