What is the composition of the Earth's exosphere?

In summary, Fabrizio is looking for information on the composition of the exosphere, but has not been successful so far. He has found that the composition varies with height, and that there may be no information available about the exosphere's composition in science literature. He is looking for a source that might provide this information, but has not found one yet.
Fabrizio Vassallo
Hello!

My name is Fabrizio, I'm a high school student doing some research on the atmosphere. Right now, I'm trying to figure out how much matter escapes into space via Jean's Escape. I've found several formulas, all of which require me to know what the amount of particles per m3 of a certain element is in a certain area of the atmosphere. Also, I've read that almost all particles that escape into space are in the exosphere. That is why I've been looking for the exosphere's composition, without any success.
I wonder if any of you would know of a book / study or something that contains this information. I want to know what the composition is at different heights, if possible, in order to sort of average the density, for example, of hydrogen, and then calculate how much of it escapes into space. So far, I've become aware that the composition of this part of the atmosphere is quite irregular, so it's likely that if there is any info about its composition its from experimental origin.
So, thank you for reading, please let me know if you find any materials that might help!

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
I did some googling but could only find descriptive exosphere facts

https://scied.ucar.edu/shortcontent/exosphere-overview
Apparently though since it’s so tenuous, this information may not be available in any science literature. Articles do note the gases present and that they seldom collide and that some fall back to Earth while others escape the planet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exosphere

Thank you very much for your time! I guess I'll keep looking for now :) There must be a way of doing it, I hope!

Sometimes though when you search for an answer and can’t find it then it’s possible there isn’t one yet. You could ask your teacher about it if it’s important. He or she may have a reference for you otherwise go with what you have.

The proportions of the various gases will vary with height, according to the molecular masses. There will be more of the lighter molecules with increasing distance. So that makes it hard to specify the composition in detail.

Likes jedishrfu
Fabrizio Vassallo said:
Summary: I want to know the exosphere's composition in percentages in order to calculate how much matter leaks into space, but I have not found any charts or tables that detail this information. Please let me know if you know of some book/study that might help!

all of which require me to know what the amount of particles per m3 of a certain element is in a certain area of the atmosphere.
That should be particles per volume per altitude.

do note there is some error you will find in the internet literature.
Perhaps one person stated incorrectly and others did a mindless copy and paste into their own site,

The error states that the distance between particles is in the range of miles for the exosphere.
That is conflagulating the mean free path, ie the 'average distance a particle will travel before collision with another' with the density.

If I recall, and you can probably find it, interstellar space has about 10 particles per cubic meter, outer solar system 10000, near space to Earth in the millions, and regular atmosphere in the trillions.
So I guess you are looking somewhere in the millions for the exosphere.

EDIT
Not too far if one can believe this site.
https://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/how-many-molecules-atoms-are-there-in-each-cubic-metre.html
PS. some other edits in the prose.

1. What is the exosphere?

The exosphere is the outermost layer of the Earth's atmosphere, extending from about 500 km above the Earth's surface to the edge of space. It is the least dense layer of the atmosphere and is composed mostly of hydrogen and helium gas.

2. What is the composition of the Earth's exosphere?

The Earth's exosphere is primarily composed of hydrogen and helium gas, with trace amounts of other gases such as oxygen, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide. It also contains small amounts of dust and particles from meteoroids and solar wind.

3. How does the composition of the Earth's exosphere differ from the other layers of the atmosphere?

The Earth's exosphere is significantly different from the other layers of the atmosphere in terms of composition. While the lower layers of the atmosphere are primarily composed of nitrogen and oxygen gas, the exosphere is mostly made up of lighter gases such as hydrogen and helium. Additionally, the exosphere has a much lower density compared to the other layers of the atmosphere.

4. What factors influence the composition of the Earth's exosphere?

The composition of the Earth's exosphere is influenced by various factors, such as the Earth's gravity, solar activity, and the presence of other planets and objects in the solar system. The Earth's gravity plays a significant role in retaining the heavier gases in the lower layers of the atmosphere, while the lighter gases can escape and accumulate in the exosphere. Solar activity, such as solar wind, can also affect the composition of the exosphere by depositing particles and gases onto its surface.

5. How is the composition of the Earth's exosphere studied?

The composition of the Earth's exosphere is studied using various techniques, including satellite observations, remote sensing, and in-situ measurements. Scientists can use satellites to measure the concentrations of different gases in the exosphere and track changes over time. Remote sensing techniques, such as spectroscopy, can also provide information about the composition of the exosphere by analyzing the wavelengths of light reflected or emitted by the gases. In-situ measurements involve directly sampling the exosphere using spacecraft and analyzing the collected samples in a laboratory.