What is the concept of Mozzi axis of instantaneous rotation in basic kinematics?

In summary, wrobel submitted a new post on PF Insights discussing the basics of kinematics. This topic is usually taught in the first semester of university courses in Germany, with a focus on rigid-body motion and the theory of spinning tops. The textbook "Classical Mechanics" by Kibble and Berkshire is a good resource for this material. However, the article also includes more advanced concepts such as coriolis force, which may not be considered "basic" for most people. The concept of Mozzi axis of instantaneous rotation is also mentioned, and the poster has some follow up questions on this topic.
wrobel
Science Advisor
Insights Author
wrobel submitted a new PF Insights post

Basics Kinematics

basickinematics.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here in Germany this is usually taught in the theory course (at Goethe University Frankfurt even already in the 1st semester!) in the context of rigid-body motion (basic theory of the spinning top).

Thanks. Do know textbooks in English that contain this material?

E.g., you find it in

Kibble, Berkshire, Classical Mechanics, Imperial College Press

I guess, in fact, you find it in any university theoretical-physics textbook.

That is a good book indeed. now I see how it is taught in the western tradition

I think that the title is a bit misleading. This is not "basic kinematics". For most people, or at least for me, basic kinematics are the kinematical equations that intro physics students see for motion with constant acceleration.

This article, which include rigid body motion and coriolis force, is way more advanced than those kinematical equations.

Zz.

Likes guitarphysics and Vibhor
Hello, I have tried to expand my horizon on "basic" kinematics and I run into the concept of Mozzi axis of instantaneous rotation. Have you heard about it before?

If so, I have some follow up questions. Thanks

Related to What is the concept of Mozzi axis of instantaneous rotation in basic kinematics?

1. What is basic kinematics?

Basic kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces causing the motion. It focuses on describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects in motion.

2. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in kinematics?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, such as distance or speed, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement or velocity.

3. How is displacement different from distance in kinematics?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the change in position of an object from its starting point to its ending point, taking into account direction. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length traveled by an object.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity in kinematics?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's motion in kinematics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. If an object is accelerating, it means its velocity is changing, either by increasing or decreasing. This can cause a change in the object's speed or direction of motion.