What is the Condition for Convergence of Sequence $p_{n}$?

In summary, the necessary and sufficient condition for the convergence of the sequence $p_n$ is that $x_{0}^2 + y_{0}^2 < 1$.
Francolino
Let $ p_{n} = (x_{n},y_{n}) $ be a sequence that verifies:

$$ x_{n+1} = \sqrt{x_{n}^2 + y_{n}^2}\left ( \frac{1}{2}x_{n} - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}y_{n} \right ), \quad y_{n+1} = \sqrt{x_{n}^2 + y_{n}^2}\left ( \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}x_{n} + \frac{1}{2}y_{n} \right ), \quad n \geq 0 $$

Which is the necessary and suficient condition that $ x_{0} $ and $ y_{0} $ have to verify to be sure that $ p_{n} $ is convergent?

I literally don't know how to solve this one. I hope you can help me. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
As a hint, try expressing $p_n$ in polar form $(r_n, \theta_n)$ instead of $(x_n,y_n)$.

First of all, thank you for answering!

I did what you suggested:

$$ \left\{\begin{matrix}
\displaystyle r_{n+1}\cos(\theta_{n+1}) = r_{n}\left ( \frac{1}{2}r_{n}\cos(\theta_{n}) - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}r_{n}\sin(\theta_{n}) \right )\ \\
\displaystyle r_{n+1}\sin(\theta_{n+1}) = r_{n}\left ( \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}r_{n}\cos(\theta_{n}) + \frac{1}{2}r_{n}\sin(\theta_{n}) \right )\ \\
\end{matrix}\right. $$

Even though, I still don't see what's the matter with this. :/

Francolino said:
First of all, thank you for answering!

I did what you suggested:

$$ \left\{\begin{matrix}
\displaystyle r_{n+1}\cos(\theta_{n+1}) = r_{n}\left ( \frac{1}{2}r_{n}\cos(\theta_{n}) - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}r_{n}\sin(\theta_{n}) \right )\ \\
\displaystyle r_{n+1}\sin(\theta_{n+1}) = r_{n}\left ( \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}r_{n}\cos(\theta_{n}) + \frac{1}{2}r_{n}\sin(\theta_{n}) \right )\ \\
\end{matrix}\right. $$

Even though, I still don't see what's the matter with this. :/
The next step is to think geometrically. The numbers $\dfrac12$ and $\dfrac{\sqrt3}2$ ought to remind you of things from trigonometry. Can you use that to give a geometric description of $p_{n+1}$ in terms of $p_n$?

I must be blind, but I cannot see it.

Anyway, the fact that $ \cos(\pi/3) = 1/2 $ and $ \sin(\pi/3) = \sqrt{3}/2 $ seems very curious to me. Is $ \pi/3 $ important in this context?

Francolino said:
Anyway, the fact that $ \cos(\pi/3) = 1/2 $ and $ \sin(\pi/3) = \sqrt{3}/2 $ seems very curious to me.
Right, so $\frac{1}{2}r_{n}\cos(\theta_{n}) - \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}r_{n}\sin(\theta_{n}) = r_n\bigl(\cos(\pi/3\cos(\theta_{n}) - \sin(\pi/3)\sin(\theta_{n}) \bigr) = \ldots$ (use a trig. addition formula). Can you continue from there?

I came up to this:
$$ \left\{\begin{matrix}
r_{n+1}\cos(\theta_{n+1}) = r_{n}\cos(\theta_{n} + \pi/3) \\
r_{n+1}\sin(\theta_{n+1}) = r_{n}\sin(\theta_{n} + \pi/3)
\end{matrix}\right. $$
(I hope I didn't make any silly mistake).

Francolino said:
I came up to this:
$$ \left\{\begin{matrix}
r_{n+1}\cos(\theta_{n+1}) = r_{n}\cos(\theta_{n} + \pi/3) \\
r_{n+1}\sin(\theta_{n+1}) = r_{n}\sin(\theta_{n} + \pi/3)
\end{matrix}\right. $$
(I hope I didn't make any silly mistake).
Correct except that the $r_n$s should be squared: $$ \left\{\begin{matrix}
r_{n+1}\cos(\theta_{n+1}) = r_{n}^2\cos(\theta_{n} + \pi/3) \\
r_{n+1}\sin(\theta_{n+1}) = r_{n}^2\sin(\theta_{n} + \pi/3)
\end{matrix}\right. $$
What that says is that $r_{n+1} = r_n^2$ and $\theta_{n+1} = \theta_n + \pi/3$. In other words, to get from $p_n$ to $p_{n+1}$, you square its modulus and you rotate it through an angle $\pi/3$. What condition will you then need to ensure that the sequence $(p_n)$ converges to a limit?

Well, clearly the rotation won't decide the convergence. Then, if $ r_{n} \geq 1 $ it'll diverge. So $ r_{n} < 1 $ it'll converge (and we don't care about $ \theta_{n} $?).

So if $ r_{n} < 1 $ then $ r_{n}^2 < 1 $. Now, squaring and summing both equations (the ones I used to convert into polar coordinates*) I've got:
$$ x_{n}^2 + y_{n}^2 = r_{n}^2\cos^2(\theta_{n}) + r_{n}^2\sin^2(\theta_{n}) = r_{n}^n < 1 $$

Then, the codition is that $ x_{0}^2 + y_{0}^2 < 1 $?

* $ x_{n} = r_{n}\cos(\theta), y_{n} = r_{n}\sin(\theta) $

Last edited:
Francolino said:
Then, the condition is that $ x_{0}^2 + y_{0}^2 < 1 $?
Yes, exactly! If $ x_{0}^2 + y_{0}^2 < 1 $ then $r_n\to0$ as $n\to\infty$ and so the sequence converges to $0$.

If $ x_{0}^2 + y_{0}^2 > 1 $ then $r_n\to\infty$ and so the sequence will diverge to infinity.

Finally, if $ x_{0}^2 + y_{0}^2 = 1 $ then the sequence will rotate around the unit circle and will not converge.

What is the definition of "convergence of a sequence"?

The convergence of a sequence refers to the behavior of a sequence of numbers as the number of terms in the sequence tends towards infinity. In other words, it describes whether the terms in a sequence approach a specific value or "converge" towards a limit.

What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is one in which the terms approach a specific value or limit as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, a divergent sequence is one in which the terms do not approach a specific value or limit, and instead, they either oscillate or grow without bound.

How do you determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent, you can use several tests, such as the limit test, ratio test, or root test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the sequence as the number of terms increases. If the terms approach a specific value or limit, the sequence is convergent. If the terms do not approach a specific value or limit, the sequence is divergent.

What is the importance of studying the convergence of a sequence?

The concept of convergence of a sequence is essential in many areas of mathematics and science. It allows us to understand the behavior and properties of infinite sequences, which have many applications in fields such as calculus, statistics, and physics. Moreover, studying the convergence of a sequence can help us make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior of real-life phenomena.

Can a sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both convergent and divergent. By definition, a sequence can only have one limit or approach one specific value. If the terms in a sequence approach different values or do not approach a specific value at all, the sequence is considered divergent.