What is the connection between time dilation and general relativity?

• Thread starter tachi158
  • Start date
In summary, time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity, which states that time passes more slowly for objects in strong gravitational fields. This is due to the warping of spacetime by massive objects, causing the flow of time to be affected. This effect has been proven through experiments and has important implications for our understanding of the universe, including the concept of black holes and the possibility of time travel.
tachi158
How did you find PF?
Google searches
Hello everyone! I'm just someone who is ridiculously curious about science, mechanics etc. Weird enough, was always interested in astronomy, science, astrophysics etc., math/chemistry was by far my best and easiest subject. So of course I pursue a law degree🤦‍♂️

Huge fan of the Expanse, and read a lot of discussions of how they "try" to maintain hard science in the show. Of course it's a show, so there will be liberties taken here and there for financial and entertainment reasons. But saw a discussion regarding time dilation. That reminded me of the Gargantua scene in Interstellar, and my curiosity was tickled. Nagging questions about Einstein's SR and GR led me search information to understand. I was diagnosed with ADHD so of course, my hyper-focus on this month's long general relativity rabbit hole has led me here, because I've procrastinated on work long enough and need one question answered so I can put this to rest and get back to work!

So, greetings!

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

tachi158 said:
Hello everyone! I'm just someone who is ridiculously curious about science, mechanics etc. Weird enough, was always interested in astronomy, science, astrophysics etc., math/chemistry was by far my best and easiest subject. So of course I pursue a law degree
You might do a PF Search on user @ohwilleke (SEARCH is at the upper-right of the screen, and you can search on posts by a particular user). They are also a lawyer, but have extensive reading interests in Physics. :smile:

Likes tachi158
berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. :smile:You might do a PF Search on user @ohwilleke (SEARCH is at the upper-right of the screen, and you can search on posts by a particular user). They are also a lawyer, but have extensive reading interests in Physics. :smile:
Guilty as charged.

I was an undergraduate math major and a couple course short of a physics major, and went to law school after that. I've practiced law since 1995, but I have been active here, at Physics.SE, and writing at my science blog: http://dispatchesfromturtleisland.blogspot.com/ and I review most of the astrophysics and HEP preprints at arXiv (except HEP-theory) every week (although I blog only a few of them).

Some of my main interests in physics are gravitational based explanations of dark matter and dark energy phenomena (especially Deur's work on gravity), and the process of filling in the final details of the Standard Model (and shooting down beyond the Standard Model physics theories when they are disproven).

I am, however, interested in "within the Standard Model" theories that can help explain why its parameters take the values that they do, such as Koide's Rule, the apparent reality that the sum of the Yukawas of the fundamental particles of the Standard Model are consistent to the limits of experimental measurement uncertainty with being equal to exactly one, and some possible signs that it may be possible to describe the CKM matrix with fewer than four independent, experimentally determined parameters.

I am married and have two adult children, one of whom graduated from college with a STEM major, and the other of whom will do so in May, although neither of them in math or physics. FWIW, my father was a math major and a civil engineer and then became an environmental science professor.

Also, for what it is worth, my real name is Andrew Oh-Willeke.

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz and berkeman
ohwilleke said:
Guilty as charged.
I see what you did there... :wink:

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, fresh_42 and ohwilleke