What is the Correct Minimum Force to Move a Ladder Against a Wall?

In summary, the ladder leans against a vertical, frictionless wall at height h = 8.0 m above the ground. A horizontal force is applied to the ladder at a distance 1.0 m from its base (measured along the ladder). If F = 50 N, what is the force of the ground on the ladder, in unit-vector notation? If F = 150 N, what is the force of the ground on the ladder, in unit-vector notation?
bnoone

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder is 10 m long and weighs 180 N. In the figure below, the ladder leans against a vertical, frictionless wall at height h = 8.0 m above the ground. A horizontal force is applied to the ladder at a distance 1.0 m from its base (measured along the ladder).

(a) If F = 50 N, what is the force of the ground on the ladder, in unit-vector notation?

(b) If F = 150 N, what is the force of the ground on the ladder, in unit-vector notation?

(c) Suppose the coefficient of static friction between the ladder and the ground is 0.38; for what minimum value of F will the base of the ladder just start to move toward the wall?

Homework Equations

∑[itex]\tau[/itex] = r x F and ∑F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I got both parts (a) and (b) right so I don't need those.

For part (c), I summed the horizontal forces: ∑F[itex]_{x}[/itex] = 0 = -F[itex]_{f}[/itex] + F[itex]_{A}[/itex] - N[itex]_{W}[/itex]
where F[itex]_{A}[/itex] is the applied force, F[itex]_{f}[/itex] is the frictional force, and N[itex]_{W}[/itex] is the normal force from the wall.

Then I summed the vertical forces: ∑F[itex]_{y}[/itex] = 0 = N - W

Then I summed the torques using the base of the ladder as the axis of rotation: ∑[itex]\tau[/itex] = 0 = Fsin(53) + 5(180)sin(37) - 10N[itex]_{W}[/itex]sin(53)

Then I used N[itex]_{W}[/itex] = μmg - F[itex]_{A}[/itex] and substituted it into the torque equation and then plugged in all my numbers to solve for F.

I got F = 133 N, which is wrong and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• APPHYSICSwebassign.gif
    APPHYSICSwebassign.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 809
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This equation NW = μmg - Ff is not consistent with your earlier relationship. It should read:
NW = FA-μmg

Okay so after fixing that I have ∑[itex]\tau[/itex] = 0 = F[itex]_{A}[/itex]sin(53) +5(180)sin(37) - 10(F[itex]_{A}[/itex] - (.38)(180))

Solving for F[itex]_{A}[/itex], I got 118.23 N which is still wrong. Did I make a mistake in summing the torques?

There's no value in determining the angle. Just work with its trig ratios. These are handily rational here.
FAsin(53) +5(180)sin(37) - 10(FA - (.38)(180))
Think again about that 10.

bnoone said:
Okay so after fixing that I have ∑[itex]\tau[/itex] = 0 = F[itex]_{A}[/itex]sin(53) +5(180)sin(37) - 10(F[itex]_{A}[/itex] - (.38)(180))

Solving for F[itex]_{A}[/itex], I got 118.23 N which is still wrong. Did I make a mistake in summing the torques?

You left out sin(53) from the last term.
And better to use the ratios as haruspex said. Taking the angle 53° means a big rounding error.

ehild

haruspex said:
There's no value in determining the angle. Just work with its trig ratios. These are handily rational here.

Think again about that 10.
Should I use 6 (the horizontal distance from the base of the ladder to the wall) instead?

No. What is the leve[STRIKE]l[/STRIKE]r arm for NW?

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
No. What is the level arm for NW?

ehild
"Level arm"? I'm unfamiliar with the term, so bnoone might be too.
bnoone, NW acts horizontally. What is its distance from the point you're taking moments about?

Yes, I mistyped it...

ehild

haruspex said:
"Level arm"? I'm unfamiliar with the term, so bnoone might be too.
bnoone, NW acts horizontally. What is its distance from the point you're taking moments about?
Isn't it just the length of the ladder?

bnoone said:
Isn't it just the length of the ladder?
Torque = force * perpendicular distance. Is the ladder perpendicular to NW?

haruspex said:
Torque = force * perpendicular distance. Is the ladder perpendicular to NW?

Ohhh okay that makes sense. I forgot to include the sine of the angle between them. Thank you!

1. What is an equilibrium ladder problem?

An equilibrium ladder problem is a physics puzzle that involves a ladder leaning against a wall and a person standing on one of the rungs. The goal is to determine the minimum angle at which the ladder can be leaned against the wall without the person falling off.

2. How do you solve an equilibrium ladder problem?

To solve an equilibrium ladder problem, you need to use the principles of static equilibrium. This means that the forces acting on the ladder and the person must be balanced in order for them to remain in a state of rest. You will need to consider the weight of the ladder and the person, as well as the forces acting on the ladder from the wall and the ground.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium in a ladder problem?

The weight of the ladder and the person, the angle at which the ladder is leaned against the wall, and the friction between the ladder and the ground are all factors that can affect the equilibrium in a ladder problem. These factors can change the forces acting on the ladder and the person, which can alter the minimum angle required for equilibrium.

4. Why is it important to find the minimum angle of equilibrium in a ladder problem?

Knowing the minimum angle of equilibrium is important because it ensures the safety of the person standing on the ladder. If the angle is too steep, the forces acting on the ladder and the person may not be balanced, causing the ladder to slip or the person to fall. By finding the minimum angle, you can prevent accidents and ensure stable equilibrium.

5. Are there any real-world applications of equilibrium ladder problems?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of equilibrium ladder problems. For example, firefighters use these principles to determine the safest angle for their ladders when rescuing people from tall buildings. Window washers also use these principles to ensure their ladders are stable while working on high-rise buildings. Additionally, engineers use these concepts when designing structures such as bridges and scaffolding.