What is the correct tension equation for a pendulum at rest?

In summary, the conversation discusses the tension equation for a pendulum and whether it is correct or not. The tension equation in question is T = mgCos(theta) + mv^2/r or T = mgSin(theta) + mv^2/r. By drawing a vector diagram, it is determined that the correct equation is T = mgSin(theta) + mv^2/r, with the angle (theta) being measured from the horizontal. The conversation concludes with a confirmation and explanation of the correct equation.
Pochen Liu

Homework Statement

The pendulum cord is released from rest when the angle = 0 (from a horizontal)
If the string breaks when the tension is twice the weight of the bob at what angle does it break?

Im from NZ and our NCEA system is often riddled with mistakes and I want to clear this up.
Is the tension equation this:

T = mgCos(theta) + mv^2/r
or
T = mgSin(theta) + mv^2/r (What the answers say)

By drawing a vector diagram I believe the test is wrong as the component in Fg providing tension is mgCos(theta)

Can anyone confirm for me? and provide reasons why so that I don't confuse myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pochen Liu said:
T = mgCos(theta) + mv^2/r
or
T = mgSin(theta) + mv^2/r (What the answers say)

By drawing a vector diagram I believe the test is wrong as the component in Fg providing tension is mgCos(theta)

Can anyone confirm for me? and provide reasons why so that I don't confuse myself.

Don't get confused...Just make sure that the angle(theta) is measured from the horizontal.
Then by the vector diagram, you will get T=mgSin(theta) + mv^2/r.

Likes Pochen Liu
What's the tension due to the weight of the bob in the original position (##\theta = 0##)?

Likes Pochen Liu

1. What is tension on a pendulum?

Tension on a pendulum refers to the force that pulls the pendulum back towards its equilibrium position. It is the result of the pendulum's weight and the force of gravity acting on it.

2. How does tension affect the motion of a pendulum?

Tension is responsible for the back and forth motion of a pendulum. As the pendulum swings, tension constantly pulls it towards the center point, causing it to oscillate.

3. What factors affect the tension on a pendulum?

The tension on a pendulum is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the angle at which the pendulum is released.

4. How can tension on a pendulum be increased or decreased?

The tension on a pendulum can be increased by increasing the mass of the pendulum bob or increasing the angle at which the pendulum is released. It can be decreased by decreasing the mass or angle.

5. How does tension on a pendulum relate to its period of oscillation?

Tension and the period of oscillation of a pendulum are inversely proportional. This means that as tension increases, the period decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is acceleration due to gravity.