What is the Correct Value of the Index n in Gas Compression?

In summary, the equation for the volume changes from 0.9m^3 to 0.6m^3 according to the law P1V1^n = P2V2^n when the pressure in the system is increased from 3 bar absolute to 5 bar absolute. The value of the index n is -2.38.
Tiberious

Homework Statement

[/B]
In a closed system a gas is compressed from a pressure of 3 bar absolute to a pressure of 5 bar absolute, and its volume changes from 0.9m^3 to 0.6m^3 according to the law P1V1^n = P2V2^n. Calculate:

The value of the index n.

Homework Equations

P1V1^n = P2V2^n

The Attempt at a Solution

Given:

P1V1^n = P2V2^n

Transposing:

P1/P2 = (V1/V2)^n

Taking logs of both sides:

logP1/P2 = n*logV1/V2

Further transposition:

n = logV1/V2 / logP1/P2

Inputting our given values:

n = log0.9^3/0.6^3 / log3*10^6/5*10^6

n = -2.38

I know I'm doing something wrong. Any assistance is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mistake #1:
Tiberious said:
Transposing:

P1/P2 = (V1/V2)^n

Mistake #2:
Tiberious said:
Inputting our given values:

n = log0.9^3/0.6^3 / log3*10^6/5*10^6

I won't spell out the errors to give you a chance to find them.

Transposing:

P1/P2 = (V2/V1)^n

Value's in reverse = 2.38.

Still, that does not seem right.

Good work addressing Mistake #1. You should make plans to address Mistake #2.

To be clear, Mistake #1 propagated into the expression identified as Mistake #2. But Mistake #2 has an issue independent of Mistake #1.

Last edited:
Would Mistake #2 be the volume ^3.

Removing this I obtain n = 0.79.

Yes, the ^3 does not belong. You are clear on why?

Wow-- upon further review, I additionally claim that the following is Mistake #1.5
Tiberious said:
Further transposition:

n = logV1/V2 / logP1/P2

Presumably the unit is not required.

From #1.5, I'm at a loss.

The units in a ratio should be the same for top and bottom, which they are in this case. As such, they "cancel out".

Mistake #1.5:
You went from
logP1/P2 = n*logV1/V2

to
n = logV1/V2 / logP1/P2

Like saying a = xb is the same as x = b/a, which it is not true.

So,

logP1/P2 = n*logV2/V1

Transposes:

logP1/P2 / n = logV2/V1

Transposes:

n = logP1/P2 / logV2/V1

After values:

n = log3*10^6/5*10^6 / log0.6/0.9

n = 1.25

Awesome, Thanks!

Yes, much better! I don't know if you care about digit significance--if you do, you could go with n = 1.

What is Engineering Thermodynamics?

Engineering Thermodynamics is the branch of science that deals with the study of energy and its transformation in engineering systems. It is concerned with the principles and laws that govern the behavior of energy in various systems, such as heat engines, power plants, and refrigeration systems.

What are the laws of Engineering Thermodynamics?

The laws of Engineering Thermodynamics are the first and second laws of thermodynamics. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of an isolated system will always increase over time.

What is the difference between heat and temperature in Engineering Thermodynamics?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a system. In Engineering Thermodynamics, heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat.

What is an Engineering Thermodynamics system?

An Engineering Thermodynamics system is a region of space or a collection of matter that is being studied as a whole. It can be open, closed, or isolated, depending on the exchange of matter and energy with its surroundings. Examples of systems include a car engine, a refrigerator, and the Earth's atmosphere.

How is Engineering Thermodynamics applied in real-world situations?

Engineering Thermodynamics is applied in many fields, including mechanical, chemical, and aerospace engineering. It is used to design and improve systems such as power plants, refrigeration systems, and engines. It is also crucial in understanding and mitigating the effects of energy use on the environment.