What is the correct way to find the temperature of helium in this scenario?

In summary, the problem involves finding the temperature of helium in a pressure vessel with a pressure of 5.42 bar and a resulting density of 0.92 kg/m3. Using the formula PV = nRT, the correct answer was found by expressing n in terms of known properties of helium.
Angelina21

Homework Statement

Helium is kept in a pressure vessel at a pressure of 5.42 bar and the resulting density is 0.92 kg/m3. The gas constant R is 8.314 J/(mol*K). The volume of the vessel is 1589.194 m3. I need to find the temperature of helium in Celsius.

Homework Equations

pressure(Pa)=density(kg/m3)*R*temperature(K)

The Attempt at a Solution

With the formula given, I got the answer of 70000 K which is logically not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Angelina21,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

PV = nRT

You can't simply replace n (number of moles) with density. Try expressing n in terms of things you know about helium in general and the helium in this case.

gneill said:
Hi Angelina21,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

PV = nRT

You can't simply replace n (number of moles) with density. Try expressing n in terms of things you know about helium in general and the helium in this case.
I think I got the answer now. My formula was indeed wrong. Thanks!

What is the temperature of helium?

The temperature of helium can vary depending on factors such as pressure and location. However, at standard pressure and room temperature (25°C), the temperature of helium is -269°C.

Why is the temperature of helium so low?

The temperature of helium is so low because it is a gas with very low atomic mass. Atoms with lower masses have higher velocities, resulting in lower temperatures.

Can the temperature of helium be changed?

Yes, the temperature of helium can be changed by altering the pressure and volume of the gas. When compressed, the temperature of helium increases, and when expanded, the temperature decreases.

What role does temperature play in the properties of helium?

Temperature plays a significant role in the properties of helium. As the temperature decreases, helium can transition from a gas to a liquid and eventually a solid. This change in state also affects its density and other physical properties.

What is the relationship between temperature and pressure for helium?

According to the ideal gas law, there is an inverse relationship between temperature and pressure for helium. As the temperature decreases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.