What is the correct way to pronounce Kirchhoff ?

• Thread starter Geezer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kirchhoff
In summary: It's Oiler, as you'll learn if you ask any German.What is the correct way to pronounce "Kirchhoff"?Heres another tissue. So, what's the word then?"Kirchhoff"If we're going to help you with the word you're going to have to stop sneezing. As far as I...I...I... "Kirchhoff" Oh no, now I've caught it! This thread needs to be quarantined before it spreads! A super virus! The end of the world! Noooo!Sorry about that. I think you pronounce it like kerchief, except with an 'o' sound.#1 sounds
Geezer
What is the correct way to pronounce "Kirchhoff"?

What is the correct way to pronounce "Kirchhoff"? I keep hearing the same two pronunciations over and over:

#1 sounds like KIRK HOFF (the preferred pronunciation of the prof who instructed my E&M class)

sounds like KEER SHOFF

Which one is it? I don't want to sound ignorant when I pronounce it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Geezer said:
What is the correct way to pronounce "Kirchhoff"? I keep hearing the same two pronunciations over and over:

#1 sounds like KIRK HOFF (the preferred pronunciation of the prof who instructed my E&M class)

sounds like KEER SHOFF

Pretty sure no one would begrudge you either way.

Plus, if you think that's bad, then you ought to see the myriad of ways I've heard EULER pronouced. *shivers* :biggrin:OIL-ER (as in Olive Oil-er)

AYE-LER (as in aye, aye Captain)

ALE-ER (as in beer)

and

YULE-ER (which rhymes with Bueller...Bueller...Bueller).

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/ben-stein.jpg

To this day, I'm not sure which is correct.

Pretty sure it's "Oiler".

As for Kirchhoff, I don't know, but I've always heard it as kirk-hoff.

It's Oiler, as you'll learn if you ask any German.

Geezer said:
Bless you, here's a tissue. Now, what word do you need the correct pronunciation for?

"Kirchhoff"

Heres another tissue. So, what's the word then?

"Kirchhoff"

If we're going to help you with the word you're going to have to stop sneezing. As far as I...I...I... "Kirchhoff" Oh no, now I've caught it! This thread needs to be quarantined before it spreads! A super virus! The end of the world! Noooo!Sorry about that. I think you pronounce it like kerchief, except with an 'o' sound.

Geezer said:

sounds like KEER SHOFF

#2 is closer, but in the first syllable, substitute the short I from #1. That's probably as close as you can get with standard English sounds.

The SH is like the "ch" in German "Ich", the voiceless palatal fricative, which is probably the hardest German sound for English-speakers to master.

I go to Caltech and we've got a building named Kirchhoff in which a lot of our classes our held.

For the most part, we pronounce it "Kirkoff". More like the first one.

He pronounced it keer-koff when he was alive but he's dead now so he won't mind if you get it wrong.

Char. Limit said:
It's Oiler, as you'll learn if you ask any German.

Yeah well (I'm just saying), my Siberian professor always pronounced it Ale-er. Of course, he also used to say "mattresses" when meaning "matrices;" and "fuk-us" instead of "focus."

One day he ACTUALLY said out loud to our class: "You all need to fuk-us on the mattresses." No lie.

Incidentally, I'm of German ancestry (they came to the United States in the early 20th Century), but don't know a word of it. :redface: Sadly, I'm not even sure actually how to pronounce my last name: Ziegler.

Zeeeeegler?

Zigler?

Zyyyygler?

Your last name would be... pronounced as if it were spelled Zeegler. Trust me.

jtbell said:
The SH is like the "ch" in German "Ich", the voiceless palatal fricative, which is probably the hardest German sound for English-speakers to master.
That's your fault; it is a very easy sound to produce.

The Germans aren't very skilled at languages, either, they cannot, for example, make a proper, Norwegian "u" (and neither can you Anglos)

Same like in Hebrew we pronounce the letter "heit" in our alphabet! You guys lack the phlegm power! :)

FrancisZ said:
Zeeeeegler?

Tseeeeegler. :smile:

Math Jeans said:
I go to Caltech

My favorite college. :approve:

Geezer said:

sounds like KEER SHOFF

Neither. It's "Keerch Hoff", where the "ch" is pronounced as in the German "Ich". By the way, it means "cherry farm".

Ben Niehoff said:
Neither. It's "Keerch Hoff", where the "ch" is pronounced as in the German "Ich". By the way, it means "cherry farm".
That would be Kirschhof, not Kirchhof.

Kirchhof means church-yard, i.e, grave-yard.

Unless it is a germanization of a Slavic name like Kyrzcov or something like that (in which case it means, possibly, "son of Charles").

I see. I shouldn't translate before breakfast.

Ben Niehoff said:
I see. I shouldn't translate before breakfast.
Have a cherry, that breaks your fast nicely! :smile:

Femme_physics said:
Same like in Hebrew we pronounce the letter "heit" in our alphabet! You guys lack the phlegm power! :)
I don't know, there are many in the states who can pronounce the ch in chet, especially the הגולים
Geezer said:

I have also heard it pronounced... ker' chof (ch as in chief as Frankly also mentioned).
Cannot say anyone of those mentioned are incorrect, they are just different pronunciations.

Ouabache said:
I have also heard it pronounced... ker' chof (ch as in chief as Frankly also mentioned).
Cannot say anyone of those mentioned are incorrect, they are just different pronunciations.

this is the way i heard it in alabama, from a guy with a very similar name.

Honestly if you do pronounce it in the correct German way, people will think you're weird.

KingNothing said:
Honestly if you do pronounce it in the correct German way, people will think you're weird.

In Germany as well?? :confused:

We Norwegians dutifully pronounce it in the correct German way, is that WRONG?

1. What is the correct way to pronounce Kirchhoff?

The correct way to pronounce Kirchhoff is "KEER-khawf" with the emphasis on the first syllable.

2. Is there a specific origin for the name Kirchhoff?

Yes, the name Kirchhoff is of German origin and is derived from the words "Kirche" meaning church and "Hoff" meaning farm or courtyard.

3. Are there any alternative pronunciations for Kirchhoff?

Some alternative pronunciations for Kirchhoff include "keer-KHOF" and "KEER-khov".

4. Does the pronunciation of Kirchhoff vary by region?

Yes, the pronunciation of Kirchhoff may vary slightly by region or accent, but the general pronunciation remains the same.

5. Are there any tips for remembering how to pronounce Kirchhoff?

One tip for remembering how to pronounce Kirchhoff is to break it down into smaller parts, focusing on the "KEER" sound in the beginning and the "khawf" sound at the end. Another tip is to listen to native speakers pronounce the name to get a better understanding of the correct pronunciation.