What is the correct way to solve the integral of cos^5 x sin x?

In summary, when solving the integral ∫cos5 x sin x dx, using a u-substitution of u = cos x would have been a simpler and more efficient approach. However, using more complicated trigonometric identities also yields a correct answer. The difference in the two approaches is the constant of integration. It is important to remember to include this constant when solving integrals.
DaleSwanson
When I did this problem I overlooked the fact that a u-sub of u=cos x would work fine. I ended up using the more complicated trig integrals rules and did this:
∫cos5 x sin x dx
∫(cos2 x)2 cos x sin x dx
∫(1 - sin2 x)2 cos x sin x dx
∫(sin5 x - 2 sin3 + sin x) cos x dx
with u = sin x, du = cos x dx this is a simple integral. However it gives me:
[itex]\frac{1}{6} sin^{6} x - \frac{1}{2} sin^4 x \frac{1}{2} sin^2 x[/itex]
The correct answer is:
[itex]\frac{-cos^{6} x}{6}[/itex]

Wolfram Alpha confirms that the final form of the integral I gave above still gives the correct answer. It also confirms that my answer isn't numerically equivalent to the correct answer. Also that my integration of the u-subed version is correct. Therefore, I must assume there was some mistake in the u-sub itself, either in the initial sub or the replacement after the integration. I cannot see where this mistake is though.

Just to be clear, I get the correct answer when I use the simpler u-sub of u = cos x, and I understand that is the preferred way to go about this problem. However, as far as I can tell the more complicated way I did it should have still produced a correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaleSwanson said:
When I did this problem I overlooked the fact that a u-sub of u=cos x would work fine. I ended up using the more complicated trig integrals rules and did this:
∫cos5 x sin x dx
∫(cos2 x)2 cos x sin x dx
You could have used a u substitution here as well with u=cos2x, du=-2cos(x)*sin(x) dx.
∫(1 - sin2 x)2 cos x sin x dx
And here with u=sin2x, du=2cos(x)*sin(x) dx.
∫(sin5 x - 2 sin3 + sin x) cos x dx
with u = sin x, du = cos x dx this is a simple integral. However it gives me:
[itex]\frac{1}{6} sin^{6} x - \frac{1}{2} sin^4 x \frac{1}{2} sin^2 x[/itex]
I assume this last line is a typo and that you meant [itex]\frac{1}{6} sin^{6} x - \frac{1}{2} sin^4 x + \frac{1}{2} sin^2 x[/itex].
The correct answer is:
[itex]\frac{-cos^{6} x}{6}[/itex]
Your more complicated answer is also correct.

You are forgetting the constant of integration. Your complex answer and the simple one differ by a constant.

D H said:
Your more complicated answer is also correct.

You are forgetting the constant of integration. Your complex answer and the simple one differ by a constant.

That possibility did occur to me briefly, but for some reason I quickly dismissed it. Thanks.

DaleSwanson said:
That possibility did occur to me briefly, but for some reason I quickly dismissed it. Thanks.
That constant of integration can always be written as c*1, but where "1" is written in an interesting way. A good start is to represent 1 as sin2x+cos2x. Cube this and simplify a bit and you will find a way to express one that applies to this problem, sin6x-3sin4x+3sin2x+cos6x.

Related to What is the correct way to solve the integral of cos^5 x sin x?

What is the integral of cos^5 x sin x?

The integral of cos^5 x sin x is equal to -1/6 cos^6 x + C, where C is the constant of integration.

How do I solve the integral of cos^5 x sin x?

To solve the integral of cos^5 x sin x, you can use integration by parts. Let u = cos^5 x and dv = sin x dx, then du = -5cos^4 x sin x dx and v = -cos x. Substituting these values into the integration by parts formula, you will get the solution -1/6 cos^6 x + C.

What is the substitution method for solving the integral of cos^5 x sin x?

The substitution method for solving the integral of cos^5 x sin x involves substituting u = cos x and du = -sin x dx. This will simplify the integral to -1/6 u^5 du, which can be easily integrated to get the solution -1/6 cos^6 x + C.

Is there a shortcut for solving the integral of cos^5 x sin x?

Yes, there is a shortcut for solving the integral of cos^5 x sin x. You can use the trigonometric identity cos^5 x = (1/4)(cos 5x + 5cos 3x + 10cos x). By substituting this identity into the integral, you can split it into three separate integrals that are easier to solve, and then add the solutions together.

What are some real-world applications of the integral of cos^5 x sin x?

The integral of cos^5 x sin x has various applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of oscillatory motion and electrical circuits. It is also used in calculating the work done by a variable force, as well as in the calculation of the electric potential produced by a charged ring or disk. Additionally, it is used in the analysis of sound waves and vibrations in mechanical systems.