What is the Cubic Function that Passes Through Given Points?

In summary, jedishrfu suggests that instead of solving for the equation of the line through the given points, one could use the Lagrange polynomial to find the equation. He provides a step-by-step guide on how to do this online.
Kstan333

Homework Statement

I have a line of a cubic function that passes through (-10,4), (-2,3), (-1,2), (0,1), (7,0). I must find the function of this line.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you can't see this but the line has a "S" curve to it. Making me assume that it is a cubic funtion.

Physics news on Phys.org
I need to find the function, using those points, that's all that is given.

I don't have an idea of how to solve it but if you look at just the y values what do you see?

Are you sure you aren't simply to find the line that best fits the points?

try starting with an equation of the form ax^4 + bx^3 + c^x2 + dx +e = y and generate a set of 5 equations in five unknowns using the the five points one by one.

So start with (0,1) and you get simply e=1 now proceed to find the other constants.

Notice that jedishrfu has a fourth degree polynomial, not a cubic. That is because a cubic, [itex]y= ax^3+ bx^2+ cx+ d[/itex] has four coefficients which take four equations to determine. So there exist a unique cubic through any four given points. You give five points so there may not be such as cubic. Of course, if those points do lie on a cubic, you will find that the coefficient of [itex]x^4[/itex] is 0.

Another way to find the polynomial (though I really prefer jedishrfu's method) is the "Lagrange polynomial":
[tex]y(x)= 4\frac{(x+2)(x+1)(x)(x- 7)}{(-10+ 2)(-10+ 1)(-10)(-10- 7)}+ 3\frac{(x- 4)(x+ 1)(x)(x- 7)}{(-2+ 10)(-2+ 1)(-2)(-2- 7)}[/tex]
[tex]+ 2\frac{(x+ 10)(x+ 2)(x)(x- 7)}{(-1+ 10)(-1+2)(-1)(-1-7)}+ 1\frac{(x+10)(x+2)(x+1)(x- 7)}{(0+10)(0+2)(0+1)(0-7)}+ 0\frac{(x+10)(x+2)(x+1)(x)}{(7+10)(7+2)(7+1)(7- 0)}[/tex]

Do you see the idea? Each fraction has factors in the numerator of "x- " each x value except one. And the denominator has factors with that missing x value minus each of the other x values. If x is anyone of the given x values, every fraction except one will be 0 and then the fraction will be 1 so that we just have y value that was in front. And, of course, because there were five points, each fraction has 4 factors involving x and so this will, in general, be a fourth degree polynomial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignoring the point, (0,1), the 4 x 5 matrix can be made:
[-1000, 100, -10, 1, 4]
[-8, 4, -2, 1, 3]
[-1, 1, -1, 1, 2]
[343, 49, 7, 1, 0]

Using the online software www.math.purdue.edu/~dvb/matrix.html, the reduced row form is:
1, 0, 0, 0, 0.0106
0, 1, 0, 0, 0.0408
0, 0, 1, 0, -.9518
0, 0, 0, 1, 1.018

The apparent coefficients give an equation that can be run through google and graphed. The result is interesting. Just type in, "graph 0.0106x^3+0.0408x^2-0.9518x+1.018" and see the resulting graph. As you inspect the points, you see a near, not perfect, fit to the five original given points and there are three roots. They are nearly x=-12, x=1, and x=7. My efforts this way may have a mistake somewhere since those roots as binomial factors do not give the same or similar coefficient for the cubic term. Maybe this is off only by a constant value factor?

What is a cubic function?

A cubic function is a type of polynomial function in which the highest power of the independent variable is three. It can be written in the form f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants.

How do you find the roots of a cubic function?

To find the roots of a cubic function, you can use the Rational Root Theorem and synthetic division to test possible rational roots. You can also use the cubic formula, which is more complex but can find all possible roots, including complex roots.

What is the relationship between the coefficients and the graph of a cubic function?

The coefficients of a cubic function affect the shape and position of its graph. The coefficient a determines whether the graph opens upwards or downwards, while b and c affect the curvature and position of the graph. The constant term, d, determines the y-intercept of the graph.

Can a cubic function have more than three roots?

Yes, a cubic function can have more than three roots, although it is typically limited to three distinct real roots. If the function has complex roots, it can have more than three total roots. However, a cubic function with three real roots can have multiple roots if the roots are repeated.

How can cubic functions be used in real-world applications?

Cubic functions can be used to model a variety of real-world phenomena, such as population growth, projectile motion, and economic trends. They can also be used in engineering and physics to approximate the behavior of complex systems. Additionally, cubic functions are often used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.