Equation of Circle Passing Through Given Point and Line with Given Radius

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation of a circle passing through point A(-3,1) with a radius of 2 and a center on the line 2x-3y+3=0. The suggested approach is to use the equation x2+y2+2gx+2fy+c=0 and the formula r2=g2+f2-c to find two equations and solve them simultaneously. Alternatively, one can use the approach of finding the distance between A(-3,1) and the center on the line and equating it to 2.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

Find an equation of the circle passing through:

A(-3,1) with radius 2 and centre on the line 2x-3y+3=0

Homework Equations

x2+y2+2gx+2fy+c=0
r2=g2+f2-c

The Attempt at a Solution

using this equation , i have found 2 equations
-6g+2f+c=-10 by putting (-3,1)

-2g+3f+3=0 (-g,-f) in the linear equation which passes through the centre

how can i use radius information here to get the third equatio n ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If A(-3,1) is on the circle, what do you know about its distance to the center?
Alternatively: Just plug in the radius in your second "relevant equation".

(It would be easier to start with the line of the centers and just one unknown variable, but your approach works as well).

Likes alijan kk
alijan kk said:
and centre at 2x-3y+3=0
I think you meant "and centre on (the line) 2x - 3y + 3 = 0."

Likes alijan kk
mfb said:

(It would be easier to start with the line of the centers and just one unknown variable, but your approach works as well).
(-3,1) (-g,-f) distance between them is equal to r

g2+f2+2f+6g+10=r2

g2+f2-c=r2

i get a weird anwer by solving simultaneously ,,, like g=0

mfb said:

(-3,1) (-g,-f) distance between them is equal to r

g2+f2+2f+6g+10=r2

g2+f2-c=r2

i get a weird anwer by solving simultaneously ,,, like g=0

which is the better and easier strategy ?

I would start with the suggestion at the end of my post. The center is on the line 2x-3y+3=0? Let its x value be x0, calculate its y-value, calculate the distance to A(-3,1) and require that this distance is 2. A single variable, a single equation to satisfy.

@alijan kk: Are you going to share with us what you got? You should have two answers.

1. What is the "circle problem" in strategy?

The "circle problem" in strategy refers to a common mathematical problem that involves finding the most efficient way to divide a circle into different parts or sectors. This problem is often used in business and economics to optimize resource allocation and decision-making.

2. How do you approach solving a circle problem?

When approaching a circle problem, it is important to first understand the specific goals and constraints of the problem. Then, you can use mathematical strategies such as geometric principles, algebraic equations, and optimization techniques to find the most effective solution.

3. What are some common applications of circle problems in real life?

Circle problems can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as determining the most efficient way to divide a pizza among a group of people, optimizing production processes in manufacturing, and allocating resources for marketing campaigns.

4. How can solving circle problems benefit businesses and organizations?

Solving circle problems can help businesses and organizations make more informed decisions and improve their efficiency and effectiveness. By finding the most optimal solutions, companies can save resources, increase productivity, and ultimately achieve their goals more effectively.

5. Are there any specific tools or techniques for solving circle problems?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can be used to solve circle problems, such as mathematical formulas and algorithms, graphing software, and spreadsheets. It is important to choose the most appropriate tool based on the specific problem at hand.