What is the difference between electrical and mechnical damping factor?

In summary, the difference between electrical and mechanical damping factor is that electrical damping involves the use of a resistor to dampen oscillation, while mechanical damping uses air resistance or other frictional forces. This can be seen in the example of a power generator, where electrical damping is caused by induced eddy currents in moving conductors. While some papers may include electrical damping in their equations, it can be neglected in certain cases. Understanding the concept of electrical damping and its relationship to eddy currents can help in analyzing systems with displacement inputs and induced voltage outputs.
comewithcws
what is the difference between electrical and mechnical damping factor?
what i mean is that,
what is mean by electrical damping? the mechnical damping i know that is related to those frction, air resistance... how about electrical?

[PLAIN]http://a367.yahoofs.com/hkblog/UR9Z27ORHxrdwGytSmoxuE_Bgw--_1/blog/20110325062119959.jpg?ib_____D30UcZEqy

i have seen some paper had used those parameters,but i have no idea about that.
even i can't find in wiki..

can anyone help me!thxxxx so muchhh

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
They analogs of each other and are Resistance...

In the mechanical system you might have some air in that cylinder that "damps" the oscillation of the piston. In an electrical system you'd have a resistor that damps the oscillation of an LC circuit.

Thx you all to answer this question!reli thxxx

but, since i m doing a mini power generator. can i just neglect the electrical damping one? because i have seen some paper that some may contain this and some may not.
and i am not so familiar with this part of the knowledge..so i m so confuse to proof those equation in order to have a response function with the
displacement input and the induced voltage output system.

and so thankyou that i have more idea about the electrical damping part which is related to the eddy current. =]
reli thxxx!

Related to What is the difference between electrical and mechnical damping factor?

1. What is the definition of electrical damping factor?

The electrical damping factor is a measure of the resistance to oscillation in an electrical circuit. It is represented by the symbol "K" and is determined by the ratio of the damping resistance to the critical resistance in the circuit.

2. How is mechanical damping factor different from electrical damping factor?

Mechanical damping factor is a measure of the resistance to oscillation in a mechanical system, such as a spring or pendulum. It is represented by the symbol "ζ" and is determined by the ratio of the damping force to the critical damping force in the system. Electrical damping factor and mechanical damping factor are fundamentally different concepts, as they pertain to different types of systems.

3. Which type of damping factor is more commonly used in engineering applications?

In engineering applications, both electrical and mechanical damping factors are important. However, mechanical damping factor is more commonly used in structural and mechanical engineering, while electrical damping factor is more relevant in electrical and electronic engineering.

4. Can the electrical and mechanical damping factors be directly compared?

No, the electrical and mechanical damping factors cannot be directly compared because they are calculated using different parameters and represent different aspects of damping in different types of systems.

5. How do the electrical and mechanical damping factors affect system performance?

The electrical and mechanical damping factors both play important roles in determining the stability and response of a system. A higher damping factor generally results in faster decay of oscillations and better control of the system.