What is the difference between H and E in the equation Hψ = Eψ?

In summary, Hψ = Eψ is an eigenvalue problem where H is the Hamiltonian operator and E is the corresponding energy. The difference between them is that H is an operator while E is a number. The equation states that H, acting on the wavefunction ψ, returns a number E times ψ. This can be understood in terms of linear transformations on vectors, where H is a matrix and E is an eigenvalue. E is a constant, and for each eigenvalue, there is a corresponding eigenvector. In the context of Hψ = Eψ, ψ is the eigenvector and H acts on it to return E times ψ.
terp.asessed
Could someone please explain Hψ = Eψ? I understand that H = Hamiltonian operator and ψ is a wavefunction, but how is H different from E? I am confused. I am trying to understand "Hψ = Eψ" approach

Physics news on Phys.org
In this context H is the Hamiltonian while E is an energy. The difference between them is that H is a operator while E is a number. So, what that equation is saying is H, an operator, will take ##\psi## and return a number E times ##\psi##. In general, an operator, like H, will take a function like ##\psi## and give you another function, for example, ##\phi## so we expect ##H\psi=\phi##. Now, a priori, there's no reason to expect ##\phi## is related to ##\psi## in any particular way (other than being what you get after acting H on it), but the Eigen-function equation is forcing ##\phi## to be a multiple of ##\psi## i.e. ##\phi=E\psi##. This is perhaps easiest to understand in terms of vectors and linear transformations on vectors, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenvalues_and_eigenvectors
You are doing exactly an analogous thing here except instead of acting on vectors in 3-D with a linear transformation (i.e. a matrix), we are acting on functions (also a vector space, but not the regular vectors we are familiar with) with linear operators (e.g. a differential operator).

Likes terp.asessed
Hi terp,
1) By Hψ = Eψ, the time-independent schrodinger equation, we can get the E given that we know H and ψ (which H acts on). H is a matrix; E is an eigenvalue of H; ψ is an eigenvector of H.
2) How is H different from E? H and E is different things. H is a matrix while E is a scalar. It's like E is an apple while H is an apple tree.
Also, we can have
Hψ1 = E1ψ1
Hψ2 = E2ψ2, where E1 is not equal to E2. Why is that? It is because the ψ H acts on is different.

I hope my suggestion helps you.

Wait, E is a constant?

Hψ = Eψ

is an eigenvalue problem
you can read about it here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenvalues_and_eigenvectors

so,

H is the eigenvector and E is it's corresponding eigenvalue. eigenvalues are constants. for each eigenvalue you can find a corresponding eigenvector.

again, think of it like a eigenvalue problem and that should be clear.

you just need to read eigenvalue problem. that seems like where you are having trouble.

in Hψ = Eψ

ψ do NOT cancel out. if you like, you can write it in a different notation

H|ψ> = E|ψ>

where H should actually be written as "H hat" to make a distinction that it is an operator.

so, Hamiltonian operator, H, is acting on your wave function, ψ, and the result is the same wave function, ψ, in the same space with some constant, E, multiplied to it.

catsarebad said:
Hψ = Eψ

is an eigenvalue problem
you can read about it here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigenvalues_and_eigenvectors

so,

H is the eigenvector and E is it's corresponding eigenvalue. eigenvalues are constants. for each eigenvalue you can find a corresponding eigenvector.

again, think of it like a eigenvalue problem and that should be clear.

I think you made a typo. ##\psi## is the eigenvector, not H.

terp.asessed said:
Wait, E is a constant?

Yes, E is a number, a constant. H is an operator. They're different kinds of things.

1. What is an eigenfunction of Hamiltonian?

An eigenfunction of Hamiltonian is a mathematical function that represents a stationary state of a quantum mechanical system. It is a solution to the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system.

2. How are eigenfunctions of Hamiltonian related to energy?

Eigenfunctions of Hamiltonian are associated with specific energy values, known as eigenvalues. The eigenvalue for an eigenfunction is the energy of the system in that particular state.

3. Can an eigenfunction of Hamiltonian be a superposition of multiple states?

Yes, an eigenfunction of Hamiltonian can be represented as a linear combination of multiple states. This superposition of states allows for a more accurate description of the system's behavior.

4. Are eigenfunctions of Hamiltonian unique?

Yes, eigenfunctions of Hamiltonian are unique for a given system. This means that no two eigenfunctions will have the same energy value and they are orthogonal to each other.

5. How are eigenfunctions of Hamiltonian used in quantum mechanics?

Eigenfunctions of Hamiltonian are a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and are used to describe the energy states of a system. They are also used to calculate the probability of a system being in a particular state and to predict the behavior of the system over time.