What is the difference between N = Q/nF and m = Z*I*t in electrolysis?

In summary, the equation used to find the amount of hydrogen produced during water electrolysis is ##It/(2F)##, where ##I## is the current, ##t## is the time, and ##F## is the Faraday constant. The Faraday constant is equal to the charge of one mole of electrons. The electrochemical equivalent, ##Z##, is defined as the ratio of the mass of the substance used or evolved in the reaction to the charge transferred through the circuit. The stoichiometric number of electrons transferred, ##n##, is used in the electrode reaction equation to determine the amount of charge transferred. In the case of the cathode reaction for water electrolysis, ##n=2## because two mo
Shan43
TL;DR Summary
Both of these equations seem to be revolving around Faraday's first law of electrolysis but would they be equal in the sense of what they are solving for?
N is equal to the number of moles of the electrolyzed species (in this case I am trying to find the amount of hydrogen produced) , Q is charge, n is stoichiometric number of electrons consumed in the electrode reaction (please explain what this means, and F is the Faraday constant. For the second equation, m is the mass of the substance undergoing electrolysis, Z is the electrochemical equivalent of the substance (also please explain what this is), I is current and t is time, I'm assuming in seconds. In other words, which of these equations would be the best when trying to find the amount of hydrogen produced during water electrolysis?

Physics news on Phys.org
##n## is just the number of electrons transferred in the electrode reaction equation (as written). For example, oxidation at the anode for water-electrolysis would have a half-reaction ##\mathrm{4OH^{-}} \longrightarrow \mathrm{2H_2 O} + \mathrm{O_2} + \mathrm{4e^{-}}## and ##n=4##. A single mole of electrons has a charge of ##F##, so ##N## moles of the reaction as written ("##N \ \mathrm{mol \ rxn}##") results in a charge transfer of ##N\cdot nF##.

Meanwhile, the electrochemical equivalent ##Z## is pretty much defined as the ratio of the mass of some species used/evolved in the reaction to the charge transferred through the circuit, ##Z \equiv m/Q##.

Thank you for your clarification between the two variables. But which equation would be used to find the amount of hydrogen that will be produced from the electrolyzer? (This is not a homework question, more of a research question)

Well, at the cathode ##2\mathrm{H^+} + \mathrm{2e^-} \longrightarrow \mathrm{H_2}##, i.e. ##2## moles of electrons liberates ##1## mole of ##\mathrm{H_2}## gas. If a current ##I## flows for a time ##t##, then the charge through either electrode is ##It## and the number of moles of electrons transferred is ##It/F##. Therefore you have ##It/(2F)## moles of ##\mathrm{H_2}##.

Likes vanhees71
ergospherical said:
Well, at the cathode ##2\mathrm{H^+} + \mathrm{2e^-} \longrightarrow \mathrm{H_2}##, i.e. ##2## moles of electrons liberates ##1## mole of ##\mathrm{H_2}## gas. If a current ##I## flows for a time ##t##, then the charge through either electrode is ##It## and the number of moles of electrons transferred is ##It/F##. Therefore you have ##It/(2F)## moles of ##\mathrm{H_2}##.
Wow, thank you for the clear and concise explanation of faraday's law! But, just to be sure, the F is multiplied by the 2 because it takes 2 moles of electrons to produce one mole of H2 gas correct?

Likes ergospherical

1. What is the difference between N = Q/nF and m = Z*I*t in electrolysis?

N = Q/nF and m = Z*I*t are two different equations used in electrolysis to calculate different quantities. N = Q/nF is used to calculate the number of moles of substance produced during electrolysis, while m = Z*I*t is used to calculate the mass of substance produced.

2. How do N = Q/nF and m = Z*I*t differ in their variables?

The variables in N = Q/nF include the number of moles (N), the total charge (Q), and the Faraday constant (nF). On the other hand, the variables in m = Z*I*t include the mass (m), the electrochemical equivalent (Z), the current (I), and the time (t).

3. Can N = Q/nF and m = Z*I*t be used interchangeably?

No, N = Q/nF and m = Z*I*t are not interchangeable as they are used to calculate different quantities. Using the wrong equation can result in incorrect values.

4. How are N = Q/nF and m = Z*I*t related?

Both equations are related to the process of electrolysis and are based on the same principles. N = Q/nF is used to calculate the amount of substance produced, while m = Z*I*t is used to calculate the mass of the same substance.

5. When should N = Q/nF and m = Z*I*t be used in electrolysis?

N = Q/nF should be used when the goal is to calculate the number of moles of substance produced, while m = Z*I*t should be used when the goal is to calculate the mass of substance produced. The choice of equation depends on the specific information that is needed.