What is the displacement of Carlos's end of the spring in a tug of war with Bob?

• Thread starter cragar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, using work-energy analysis, it can be concluded that each end of the spring will move 10 cm due to the 200 N force applied by each person.
cragar

Homework Statement

The left end of a spring is attached to a wall. When bob pulls on the right end with 200N force,
he stretches the spring by 20cm. The same spring is then used for tug of war between bob and Carlos. Each pulls on the spring with a 200N force. How far does Carlos's end of the spring move? explain

The Attempt at a Solution

If I think of this as the spring hanging in a gravitational field. I put a weight on it that was 200 N it will pull it down 20cm. but if my spring is hanging on a nail, that is also providing a force of 200N in the opposite direction. So i think that the spring will be stretched still by 20cm. Although I am not sure if it will be stretched by 10cm at Carloss's end or zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the spring will still stretch a total of 20 cm. I think the two guys are assumed to move equal distances.

cragar said:

Homework Statement

The left end of a spring is attached to a wall. When bob pulls on the right end with 200N force,
he stretches the spring by 20cm. The same spring is then used for tug of war between bob and Carlos. Each pulls on the spring with a 200N force. How far does Carlos's end of the spring move? explain

The Attempt at a Solution

If I think of this as the spring hanging in a gravitational field. I put a weight on it that was 200 N it will pull it down 20cm. but if my spring is hanging on a nail, that is also providing a force of 200N in the opposite direction. So i think that the spring will be stretched still by 20cm. Although I am not sure if it will be stretched by 10cm at Carloss's end or zero.

Maybe you want to do this in the horizontal to make it easier. (No gravity)

Also you might want to ask yourself how hard the wall pulls on the spring before Carlos comes into play.

Oops I see someone has already posted. I will now kindly drop out.

pgardn said:
Oops I see someone has already posted. I will now kindly drop out.

Hi, pgardn. Don't drop out. The more the merrier! :biggrin:

so then each person will move 10cm

cragar said:
so then each person will move 10cm

Probably - but you can certainly be sure the ends of the spring will be 20cm further apart.

The common, incorrect response to this question is that each move 20cm - as I said, and you seem to realize, that answer is incorrect.

PeterO said:
Probably - but you can certainly be sure the ends of the spring will be 20cm further apart.

The common, incorrect response to this question is that each move 20cm - as I said, and you seem to realize, that answer is incorrect.

I second that.

I was just going to replace the wall with Carlos. And there you have it.

All is in order.

Using work-energy analysis could also be used.

Related to What is the displacement of Carlos's end of the spring in a tug of war with Bob?

What is a spring?

A spring is a mechanical device that is made up of coiled or compressed material, typically metal, that can store and release energy when it is bent or stretched.

What are the different types of springs?

The three main types of springs are compression springs, extension springs, and torsion springs. Compression springs are designed to resist compression forces, extension springs are designed to resist stretching forces, and torsion springs are designed to resist twisting forces.

How do springs work?

When a force is applied to a spring, it compresses or stretches, storing potential energy. When the force is released, the stored energy is released, causing the spring to return to its original shape.

What are some common uses for springs?

Springs are used in a variety of applications, including automotive suspension systems, door hinges, watches, pogo sticks, and mattresses. They are also used in many industrial and manufacturing processes, such as stamping and pressing machines.

How do you calculate the force of a spring?

The force of a spring can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed. The formula for this is F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is stretched or compressed.