What is the domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x))?

In summary, the domain of the function f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x)) is x>1, 1/(2k+1)<x<1/2k for k=1,2,3,... and 1/2k<x<1/(2k+1) for k=-1,-2,-3,... where k is an integer. This is derived from the condition that 0<(pi/x)<pi and solving for x in different cases.
Yankel
Hello guys,

I need some assistance in calculating the domain of this function:

f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x))

I started with sin(pi/x)>0 due to the ln function.

From here 0<(pi/x)<pi. That lead me to some calculations giving x>1, but obviously I have periods of 2*pi to include.

The answer is: x>1, 1/(2k+1)<x<1/2k for k=1,2,3,... and 1/2k<x<1/(2k+1) for k=-1,-2,-3,...

I don't understand why or how to get to this solution.

thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
I would write:

$\displaystyle 2k\pi<\frac{\pi}{x}<(2k+1)\pi$

where $\displaystyle k\in\mathbb{Z}$

$\displaystyle 2k<\frac{1}{x}<(2k+1)$

When $\displaystyle k=0$ we have $\displaystyle 1<x$

When $\displaystyle 0<k$ we have $\displaystyle \frac{1}{2k+1}<x<\frac{1}{2k}$

When $\displaystyle k<0$ we have $\displaystyle \frac{1}{2k}<x<\frac{1}{2k+1}$

Related to What is the domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x))?

1. What is the domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x))?

The domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x)) is all real numbers except for x=0 and any value of x that makes sin(pi/x) equal to 0. This is because the natural logarithm function is undefined for non-positive numbers, and sin(pi/x) will be 0 when x is an integer multiple of pi.

2. How do I find the domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x))?

To find the domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x)), you need to consider two conditions: (1) the natural logarithm function is undefined for non-positive numbers, and (2) sin(pi/x) cannot be equal to 0. Therefore, the domain will be all real numbers except for x=0 and any value of x that makes sin(pi/x) equal to 0.

3. Can the domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x)) be extended beyond the real numbers?

No, the domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x)) cannot be extended beyond the real numbers. The natural logarithm function and the sine function are only defined for real numbers, so the domain of their composition will also be restricted to real numbers.

4. What is the significance of the domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x))?

The domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x)) is significant because it represents the set of all possible inputs or values of x where the function is defined. In this case, the domain helps us understand the behavior of the function and identify any restrictions on its inputs.

5. Can the domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x)) have any negative values?

No, the domain of f(x)=ln(sin(pi/x)) cannot have any negative values. As mentioned before, the natural logarithm function is undefined for non-positive numbers, so the domain of this function will only include positive numbers and 0.