What is the driving force behind siphon behavior?

• Thread starter NihalRi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Behavior
In summary, the conversation discusses the practical workings of a siphon, including the effects of changing the height of the liquid and the driving force behind its operation. It is determined that atmospheric pressure is not necessary for a siphon to work and that a pressure differential is what drives the fluid from the higher to lower side. Even with an ionic fluid in a vacuum, there is still a limit to the height the siphon can reach before a vacuum gap forms.
NihalRi
Hello everyone I'm new here:D I'm doing a project on siphons and I'm trying to understand how a practical siphon works. I did a hell of a lot of reading and the explanations havd gotten jumbled up due to so many misconceptions. So anyways I conducted some experiments and a few strange things happened.

One, I switched round the long and short sides of the tube and the siphon still worked(suspect that has to do with tensile strength or something, my tube was only as wide as a straw), then I was measuring how changing the height of liquid effects the rate of water flow and I got a curved graph any explanations?

And as for the driving force, the one that's convinced me the most is atmospheric pressure, indirectly due to the formation of a partial vacuum in the bend of the tube.

Lastly I tried blocking out the atmospheric pressure expecting the siphon not to work, it did (tell me that's not suposed to happen and that I must have done something wrong)
-thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Bernoulli equation has a gravitational potential term = 1/2 v^2 / 2 + g h + pressure / density = constant. Ignoring velocity and compressiblity, then

g h = constant - pressure / density

As height of a fluid decreases from the upper surface of a fluid, pressure increases linearly.

As shown in this youtube video, atmospheric pressure isn't needed for ionic fluid.

As long as the intake side of the siphon is submerged, there's some pressure related to the height of the fluid above the intake. For any fixed height above the ground, the pressure on the intake side is greater than the pressure on the outlet side because the upper surface of the fluid is higher on the intake side than it is on the outlet side. This pressure differential is what drives the fluid from the higher upper surface side to the lower upper surface side. It doesn't matter how far the siphon intakes or outlets are submerged on either side, as long as both remain submerged.

Even with ionic fluid in a vacuum, there's still a limit to the height of the siphon above the intake side fluid level. The limit occurs when g h = constant - 0, since once the pressure drops to zero, a vacuum gap will form.

Last edited:

1. What is unexpected siphon behavior?

Unexpected siphon behavior refers to a phenomenon in which a liquid does not flow through a siphon as expected, either failing to start or stopping prematurely. It can occur due to various factors such as air bubbles, uneven height differences, or blockages in the siphon.

2. Why does unexpected siphon behavior occur?

Unexpected siphon behavior can occur due to several factors. One of the main reasons is the presence of air bubbles in the siphon, which can disrupt the flow of liquid. Uneven height differences between the two ends of the siphon can also cause unexpected behavior. Additionally, blockages in the siphon can prevent the smooth flow of liquid.

3. How can unexpected siphon behavior be prevented?

To prevent unexpected siphon behavior, it is essential to ensure that the siphon is free of any blockages and air bubbles. Additionally, the height difference between the two ends of the siphon should be uniform. Using a larger diameter siphon can also help reduce the chances of unexpected behavior.

4. Can unexpected siphon behavior be dangerous?

In most cases, unexpected siphon behavior is not dangerous. However, if the siphon is used to transfer hazardous chemicals or substances, unexpected behavior can lead to spills or accidents. It is crucial to take necessary precautions and follow safety protocols when using siphons to prevent any potential hazards.

5. How does unexpected siphon behavior impact scientific experiments?

Unexpected siphon behavior can significantly impact the results of scientific experiments that involve the use of siphons. If the siphon fails to work as expected, it can affect the accuracy and reliability of the data collected. Scientists must understand the factors that can cause unexpected siphon behavior and take necessary measures to avoid any disruptions in their experiments.