What Is the Effect of Friction on the Height of a Sphere Rolling Down a Ramp?

In summary: Figure:a) The sphere has a gravitational potential energy of 0.05 J.b) The sphere has a frictionless ramp and loses 0.05 J of its initial kinetic energy as it slides down the ramp.c) The sphere will have a gravitational potential energy of 0.73 J at the bottom of the ramp, and zero kinetic energy.
Lone Wolf
Homework Statement
A small sphere of radius r = 5 cm, with mass = 50 g, is dropped from rest from the top of a ramp with height = 0.73 m, as show in the figure. The moment of inertia of a sphere about its center is I = 2/5 MR². Consider g = 10 m/s².
a) Considering a sphere that rolls without slipping, find the speed of the sphere at point A (0.1 m above the base of the ramp).
b) Find the maximum height h, reached by the sphere.
c) Considering the sphere now only slips (does not roll), determine whether the maximum height will be greater or less than the previous case, without doing any calculations.
Relevant Equations
Conservation of mechanical energy: ΔEm = 0.
Kinetic energy for a rolling object: 1/2 * I * ω² + 1/2 * m * v² , where v is the velocity of the center of mass.
Potential energy = m * g * h, where h is the height of the center of mass.
Figure:

a)
The mechanical energy of the sphere is conserved because the weight is the only force which does work. My problem with this question is mostly because the original picture (which I tried to recreate here) is kind of ambiguous, as in I don't know if H already accounts for the radius of the sphere or not.
Initial potential energy: m * g * hi = 0.05 * 10 * 0.73 = 0.365 J.
Final potential energy: m * g * hf = 0.05 * 10 * (0.1) = 0.05 J.
Initial kinetic energy = 0 J
Final kinetic energy = 1/2 * I * ω² + 1/2 * m * v²; for an object that rolls without slipping, ω = v/R.
Kf = (7 * m * v²)/10 = 0.035 * v²
K(initial) + Ep(initial) = Ep(final) + K(final)
0.365 = 0.05 + 0.035v² ---> v = 3 m/s.
b)
Since the question does not mention any air resistance, the conservation of mechanical energy is still applicable. So the height of the sphere will be the same as it was initially (H = 0.73 m).
c) In order for an object to roll without slipping, there must be a friction force. So considering the ramp is not frictionless, as the sphere slides without rolling, it loses mechanical energy due to work done by the friction force, at point A the speed will be less than the one calculated for a), and therefore the sphere will reach a smaller height than 0.73 m.

I am not sure if the work I've done is correct. Any confirmations/corrections are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lone Wolf said:
a)
The mechanical energy of the sphere is conserved because the weight is the only force which does work. My problem with this question is mostly because the original picture (which I tried to recreate here) is kind of ambiguous, as in I don't know if H already accounts for the radius of the sphere or not.
Good point. From the way in which the problem is worded, I don't think that they intended for you to worry about this. But I would need to see the original figure to be sure.
Initial potential energy: m * g * hi = 0.05 * 10 * 0.73 = 0.365 J.
Final potential energy: m * g * hf = 0.05 * 10 * (0.1) = 0.05 J.
Initial kinetic energy = 0 J
Final kinetic energy = 1/2 * I * ω² + 1/2 * m * v²; for an object that rolls without slipping, ω = v/R.
Kf = (7 * m * v²)/10 = 0.035 * v²
K(initial) + Ep(initial) = Ep(final) + K(final)
0.365 = 0.05 + 0.035v² ---> v = 3 m/s.
OK. This looks good. (If you work out the problem in symbols and wait until the end to plug in numbers, you will see that the mass cancels and you will also avoid introducing inaccuracies due to round-off errors.)
b)
Since the question does not mention any air resistance, the conservation of mechanical energy is still applicable. So the height of the sphere will be the same as it was initially (H = 0.73 m).
This might not be correct. Hint: When the sphere reaches its maximum height, does the sphere have only gravitational potential energy, or does it still have some kinetic energy?
c) In order for an object to roll without slipping, there must be a friction force. So considering the ramp is not frictionless, as the sphere slides without rolling, it loses mechanical energy due to work done by the friction force, at point A the speed will be less than the one calculated for a), and therefore the sphere will reach a smaller height than 0.73 m.
I'm a little confused with your answer here. Part (a) is where friction is acting. In part (c), I think they want you to assume that the sphere slides without friction.

Likes Lone Wolf and Chestermiller
If the figure is equivalent to the one below, then you would need to include the radius of the sphere in determining the change in height of the sphere in going from the initial position to point A.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between the angle of the ramp and the speed of the rolling sphere?

The steeper the ramp, the faster the sphere will roll down it. This is because the angle of the ramp increases the force of gravity acting on the sphere, causing it to accelerate more quickly.

2. How does the mass of the sphere affect its speed rolling down a ramp?

The mass of the sphere has a minimal effect on its speed rolling down a ramp. As long as the ramp is not too steep and there is minimal friction, the mass of the sphere will not significantly impact its speed.

3. What is the role of friction in a sphere rolling down a ramp?

Friction between the sphere and the ramp can slow down the sphere's speed. If there is more friction, the sphere will roll slower, and if there is less friction, the sphere will roll faster.

4. Is there a maximum speed a sphere can reach when rolling down a ramp?

Yes, there is a maximum speed that a sphere can reach when rolling down a ramp. This maximum speed is known as the terminal velocity and is determined by the ramp's angle, the sphere's mass, and the force of friction acting on the sphere.

5. Can the shape or material of the sphere affect its speed rolling down a ramp?

Yes, the shape and material of the sphere can affect its speed rolling down a ramp. A smooth, round sphere will experience less friction and roll faster than a rough, irregularly shaped sphere. The material of the sphere can also impact its speed, as a heavier material will accelerate more slowly than a lighter material.