What is the electric field strength at the center of the triangle?

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field strength at the center of an equilateral triangle formed by three 13.0-cm-long rods, two of which are charged to +19.0 nC and one is charged to -19.0 nC. The electric field depends on the negative charged rod and is only felt downwards at the center due to symmetry. The expression for the electric field of a finite line of charge is E line=(k)(2)(lambda)/r.
Mozart

Homework Statement

Three 13.0 -cm-long rods form an equilateral triangle. Two of the rods are charged to + 19.0 nC, the third to - 19.0 nC .

Homework Equations

E=(kq)/r^2 lambda=deltaQ/deltax

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted this problem about 4 times and got all different but wrong answers. In each attempt I figured that the electric fields created by the two positively charged rods cancel each other out everywhere (This is where I believe I have made my mistake) and that the electric field depends only on the negative charged rod. I also figured by symmetry that the components of the electric field to the left and right (x-axis I chose) cancel each other out and the only electric field felt at the center is downwards (Y-axis I chose).

Is my mistake based on that I figured the two positively charged rods cancel each others electric fields out? I'm looking for some tips and hints to get me on track for this problem.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, let's start with the expression for the electric field of a finite line of charge.

is it E line=(K)(2)absolutevalue(lambda)/r ?

=(k)(2)absval(Q/x)/r

That is for an infinite line of charge, what about a finite one, any ideas?

Related to What is the electric field strength at the center of the triangle?

1. What is the definition of electric field strength?

The electric field strength is a measure of the force per unit charge experienced by a point charge in an electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field strength calculated at a specific point?

The electric field strength at a point is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge placed at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be expressed using the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. What factors affect the electric field strength at a point?

The electric field strength at a point is affected by the magnitude of the source charge, the distance from the source charge, and the medium through which the electric field is passing. It is also dependent on the direction of the source charge and the orientation of the test charge.

4. How does the electric field strength change at different points in a triangle?

In a triangle, the electric field strength will vary at different points depending on the location and magnitude of the source charges. At the center of the triangle, the electric field strength will be affected by the sum of the electric field vectors from each source charge.

5. How can the electric field strength at the center of a triangle be determined experimentally?

The electric field strength at the center of a triangle can be determined experimentally by using a test charge and measuring the force experienced at various points within the triangle. By plotting the data and using the equation E = F/q, the electric field strength at the center of the triangle can be calculated.