What is the energy required to approach near absolute zero?

In summary, the amount of effort/energy required to get to absolute zero approaches infinity, but there is a point in which dropping near 0 kelvin changes from a 1:1 to an exponential curve.
shintashi
TL;DR Summary
is the scale linear or exponential?
I'm trying to understand if the amount of effort/energy required to get to absolute zero approaches infinity, or if its a linear thing... is there a point in which dropping near 0 kelvin changes from a 1:1 to an exponential curve? Is the whole thing a curve or is there a static point, like 1 degree kelvin is 1 joule different from 2 kelvin, but for whatever reason, 0.5 kelvin takes like a power plant?

I couldn't find anything explaining the curve, unlike approaching the speed of light, which is pretty straight forward and easy to find.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is effort/energy.?? A coherent answer requires a specific and well thought out question. You should quote sources for your suppositions and be specific. Asking a good question is half the battle for understanding. Its your half.

Likes Vanadium 50
hutchphd said:
A coherent answer requires a specific and well thought out question.
That's right, in principle but many people do not know enough for a well (enough for you) though out question. I know that's unsatisfying for the cognoscenti but one of PF's missions is to help people to access their 'unknown unknowns'. I feel that I understand what the OP is getting at (and I believe you actually do have a clue). The OP needs a bit of help across the line, I think.

@shintashi Most refrigeration is achieved in the region of 300K and your average refrigerating machine can manage one particular temperature difference, wherever it starts. I found this elderly article which is interesting and is based on thermodynamic ideas It points out that the energy needed is linear as you increase the ambient temperature but non-linear as you reduce the target temperature. You can do better than that by using other (non thermodynamic) methods like laser cooling this
Scientific American article is interesting. Read them both; they are good fun.

Why don't you try and figure out how much work you need to do for a refrigerator undergoing an ideal Carnot cycle? You can write some equations,$$\frac{Q_C}{T_C} = \frac{Q_H}{T_H}$$Use that ##W + Q_C = Q_H##, and try and eliminate ##Q_H## to determine what ##W## corresponds to remove an amount ##Q_C## of heat from the cold reservoir, in terms of ##T_C## (and ##T_H##). You will find that as you approach ##T_C \rightarrow 0\text{K}## this will become infinite.

Likes sophiecentaur
sophiecentaur said:
That's right, in principle but many people do not know enough for a well (enough for you) though out question

The OP has been here for 17 years. I'd like to think that's enough.

Vanadium 50 said:
The OP has been here for 17 years. I'd like to think that's enough.
Funny thing is that I understood his problem. But I guess I hope/ expect people to make allowances for my dumbness and it works both ways. Not to say that I’m never grumpy.

1. What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, at which all molecular motion ceases. It is equivalent to 0 kelvin (K) or -273.15 degrees Celsius (°C).

2. How is energy related to temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of molecules in a substance. As temperature decreases, the kinetic energy of molecules also decreases.

3. How much energy is required to approach near absolute zero?

The amount of energy required to approach near absolute zero depends on the starting temperature and the substance's specific heat capacity. It is a continuous process, so there is no specific amount of energy required.

4. What are the challenges in achieving near absolute zero?

One of the main challenges in achieving near absolute zero is that as the temperature decreases, it becomes more difficult to remove the remaining energy from a substance. Additionally, the equipment and techniques used to reach such low temperatures are complex and expensive.

5. What are the practical applications of near absolute zero?

Near absolute zero has many practical applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of matter at extremely low temperatures and to create superconductors, which have various technological applications such as in MRI machines and particle accelerators.