What is the equation linking force and extension for a stretched spring?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equation linking force and extension for a spring, as well as determining the work done in extending the spring from 27 cm to 30 cm. The equation sought is a ratio between force and extension, and Hooke's Law states that force is equal to negative k times extension. The value of k can be determined using the given information.
DeusAbscondus
I have come across a question in my text which I feel completely at sea about. could someone have a look and see if they can give me some orientation?

The question starts by stating:
"The force required to stretch a spring is proportional to the extension. If a spring is normally 25 cm long and force of 100 N is required to stretch it 0.5cm, find the equation linking force and extension."

Then:
"The work (W) done in stretching the spring is given by:
$$W=\int^{x_2}_{x_1} F\ dx$$
Find the work done extending the spring from 27 cm to 30 cm."

Some important points I've extracted and noted (just to show I don't just want an answer, but understanding and practice is construing these problems for an exam in 2 weeks):

1. I need a equation linking force and extension which will then become the integrand in above Work equation
2. In this equation, force will be the dependent value, extension the independent; the equation will be a ratio, hence a derivative of the anti-derivative Work function provided
3. the increment of .5cm is obviously to be worked into this equation, as is the value of 100N
4. finally, the "27cm to 30 cm" will obviously provide the boundaries for the integral:
$$W=\int^{30}_{27}F(e)\ de\ **$$

Beyond that, I am flumexed and feeling pretty defeated!

Deus Abs

** I'm guessing that the equation sought must be a ration between Force (dependent variable) and Extension (e), independent variable, hence $$F(e)\ de$$??

Physics news on Phys.org
This may be the missing piece of the puzzle. Hooke's Law states that:

$\displaystyle F=-kx$ where $\displaystyle 0<k$.

You may they use the given information to determine k.

MarkFL said:
This may be the missing piece of the puzzle. Hooke's Law states that:

$\displaystyle F=-kx$ where $\displaystyle 0<k$.

You may they use the given information to determine k.

Thanks Mark.
Just worked it out: k is the constant linking extension and force

Cheers,
D

Related to What is the equation linking force and extension for a stretched spring?

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between objects and can cause a change in an object's motion or shape.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) using a spring scale or a force meter. One Newton is equal to the amount of force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

3. What is work?

Work is the transfer of energy that occurs when a force is applied to an object and the object is displaced in the direction of the force.

4. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The unit for work is Joules (J).

5. How does a spring's elasticity relate to force and work?

A spring's elasticity determines how much force is required to compress or stretch it, and how much work is needed to do so. The greater the elasticity of a spring, the more force and work it can store.