What is the equilibrium angle - dipoles?

In summary, the equilibrium angle θ' for a system of coplanar dipoles is determined by finding the direction of the electric field vector E.
It's me

Homework Statement

Two coplanar dipoles are oriented as shown below.
upload_2015-9-15_18-12-30.png

If θ is fixed, what is the equilibrium angle θ' ?

Homework Equations

The torque exerted by dipole P on dipole P' is given by $$\vec{N'}=\vec{P'}\times\vec{E}$$ where vector E is the electric field.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think $$\vec{E}(r, \theta)=\frac{P}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^3}(2\cos\theta\hat{r}+\sin\theta\hat{\theta})$$ where P is the magnitude of dipole P, and $$\vec{P'}=P'\cos{\theta'}\hat{r}+P'\sin{\theta'}\hat{\theta}$$ so $$\vec{N'}=\frac{PP'}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^3}(\cos{\theta'}\sin{\theta}-2\sin{\theta'}\cos{\theta})\hat{\phi}$$ and the equilibrium angle would be such that the torque is zero. However, that gives me $$\theta'=\tan^{-1}(\frac{\tan{\theta}}{2})$$, and I was expecting an answer more like θ'=180-θ.

Am I doing something wrong?

Attachments

• upload_2015-9-15_18-7-38.png
    upload_2015-9-15_18-7-38.png
    7 KB · Views: 566
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks correct to me. Note that the torque is zero when ##\vec{P}'## is parallel to ##\vec{E}##. So, you just need to find the direction of ##\vec{E}##.

Why were you expecting θ'=180-θ? To gain confidence that your answer might be correct, check some limiting cases such as θ = 0 and θ = 90o.

Last edited:
I was expecting that answer because of the fact that dipoles tend to counter-align with each other

If you allow both θ and θ' to adjust themselves to give minimum potential energy for the system of two dipoles, the dipoles will align parallel to each other and parallel to the line connecting them. That is, you find that the lowest energy is θ = θ' = 0 or θ = θ' = 180o.

If you fix θ at 90o, then the other dipole will orient itself anti-parallel to the first dipole to achieve minimum energy (i.e., θ' = 90o). But the overall energy will not be as low as the θ = θ' = 0 case.

For a system of many dipoles in a lattice, you get interesting patterns.
See http://www.evsc.net/projects/dipole-spin-system and https://vimeo.com/album/16185

What is the equilibrium angle - dipoles?

The equilibrium angle, also known as the equilibrium bond angle, is the angle formed between two atoms in a molecule where the forces between the atoms are balanced and there is no net force acting on the molecule. Dipoles are molecules that have a separation of positive and negative charges, creating a dipole moment.

How is the equilibrium angle determined?

The equilibrium angle is determined by the arrangement of the atoms in a molecule and the strength of the bonds between them. It is affected by factors such as bond length, bond strength, and the presence of lone pairs of electrons. The equilibrium angle can be calculated using quantum mechanical models or determined experimentally through techniques such as X-ray crystallography or spectroscopy.

Why is the equilibrium angle important?

The equilibrium angle is important because it influences the physical and chemical properties of a molecule. It affects the molecule's shape, polarity, and reactivity. The equilibrium angle also plays a role in determining the strength of intermolecular forces and the stability of a molecule.

Can the equilibrium angle change?

Yes, the equilibrium angle can change under certain conditions. For example, if the temperature or pressure of a system changes, the equilibrium angle may shift. Additionally, the presence of other molecules or ions can also alter the equilibrium angle. In some cases, molecules may undergo isomerization, where the atoms rearrange and the equilibrium angle changes.

What is the difference between the equilibrium angle and bond angle?

The equilibrium angle and bond angle are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. The equilibrium angle refers to the ideal angle between two atoms in a molecule where the forces are balanced. The bond angle, on the other hand, refers to the measured angle between two covalent bonds in a molecule. In some cases, the bond angle may deviate from the equilibrium angle due to steric hindrance or other factors.