What is the Equivalence Class for a Fixed Integer in Hurricane Lane's Aftermath?

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs Set
In summary, the relation is an equivalence relation between two sets, and its reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity are all automatically established.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
View attachment 8332
ok need help with these 3 questions

I know its fairly easy but its new to me, so

we have had hurricane Lane here this week
but mahalo much

Physics news on Phys.org
13. Showing that the given relation is an equivalence relation is straightforward. I suppose you are stuck at describing the equivalence classes. Let $a$ be a fixed integer. What is the equivalence class containing $a$, i.e. $[a]$? Well, $b\in[a]$ $\iff$ $b\sim a$ $\iff$ $b-a=n\in\mathbb Z$ $\iff$ $b=a+n$ $\iff$ $b\in\{a+n:n\in\mathbb Z\}$. Hence $[a]=\{a+n:n\in\mathbb Z\}$.

14. Is this relation transitive? Hint: $1\cdot0\ge0$ and $0\cdot(-1)\ge0$.

15: Suppose $\frak P$ is a partition of a set $S$; then the relation is $a\sim b$ iff $a$ and $b$ belong to the same subset of $S$ in $\frak P$. By the definition of a partition, every member of $S$ belongs to some subset of $S$ in $\frak P$; hence ~ is reflexive. It is clearly symmetric. I’ll leave you to show that it is transitive, hence an equivalence relation.

Olinguito said:
13. Showing that the given relation is an equivalence relation is straightforward. I suppose you are stuck at describing the equivalence classes. Let $a$ be a fixed integer. What is the equivalence class containing $a$, i.e. $[a]$? Well, $b\in[a]$ $\iff$ $b\sim a$ $\iff$ $b-a=n\in\mathbb Z$ $\iff$ $b=a+n$ $\iff$ $b\in\{a+n:n\in\mathbb Z\}$. Hence $[a]=\{a+n:n\in\mathbb Z\}$.

14. Is this relation transitive? Hint: $1\cdot0\ge0$ and $0\cdot(-1)\ge0$.

15: Suppose $\frak P$ is a partition of a set $S$; then the relation is $a\sim b$ iff $a$ and $b$ belong to the same subset of $S$ in $\frak P$. By the definition of a partition, every member of $S$ belongs to some subset of $S$ in $\frak P$; hence ~ is reflexive. It is clearly symmetric. I’ll leave you to show that it is transitive, hence an equivalence relation.

that was very helpful ;)

What is "412.1.13 set proofs"?

"412.1.13 set proofs" refers to a specific set of proofs or mathematical demonstrations related to the number 412.1.13.

What is the purpose of set proofs?

The purpose of set proofs is to establish the validity of mathematical statements or theorems using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques.

How are set proofs different from other types of proofs?

Set proofs specifically deal with mathematical sets and their properties, while other types of proofs may focus on different mathematical concepts such as geometry or calculus.

What are some common techniques used in set proofs?

Some common techniques used in set proofs include mathematical induction, proof by contradiction, and direct proof.

Are set proofs important in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, set proofs have applications in various fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering, as they provide a rigorous and systematic approach to proving mathematical concepts and theories.