What is the Equivalent Strength of the Chicxulub Impact in Atomic Bombs?

KingGambit
Hi PF Forum,
How are you guys. I hope you guys are doing fine.
I often come a statement like this.
This earthquake is as strong as 1 million atomic bombs.
This volcano is as strong as some million atomic bombs.

And now in this video.
Chicxulub impact
"... this impact carried more than 10 billion atomic bombs."
Which of the atomic bomb that it refers to?
Little boy, Trinity, Fat man, Tsar Bomba?
I mean, I know 1 unit calorie is something like 4.2 joules
or
1 PSI is approximately 7000 pascal, 1 ton TNT = 1 billion calories
Thanks for your attentions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't watch your video right now, but references should specify, and the first hit on Google used Hiroshima:
Finally in this section, it is interesting to compare the energy produced by earthquakes with other energy sources. The amount of energy released by the Hiroshima nuclear bomb was about 1012 J, whereas one magnitude 8.9 earthquake released about 1018 J of seismic energy (Figure 9). This is a million times more energy (i.e. a factor of 106) than the Hiroshima bomb. The amount of energy used every day in the UK is somewhat more than 1016 J

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/geology/earthquakes/content-section-4.3

Hiroshima is a "good" choice because it was actually used so it caused actual damage.

Likes BillTre and KingGambit
In general when I see a video or read a text that uses such vague information - I don't believe it, as apparently whoever recorded/wrote it didn't understand basics.

Likes KingGambit and BillTre
KingGambit said:
Hi PF Forum,
How are you guys. I hope you guys are doing fine.
I often come a statement like this.
This earthquake is as strong as 1 million atomic bombs.
This volcano is as strong as some million atomic bombs.

And now in this video.
Chicxulub impact
"... this impact carried more than 10 billion atomic bombs."
Which of the atomic bomb that it refers to?
Little boy, Trinity, Fat man, Tsar Bomba?
I mean, I know 1 unit calorie is something like 4.2 joules
or
1 PSI is approximately 7000 pascal, 1 ton TNT = 1 billion calories
Thanks for your attentions.

russ_watters said:
I can't watch your video right now, but references should specify, and the first hit on Google used Hiroshima:

https://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/geology/earthquakes/content-section-4.3

Hiroshima is a "good" choice because it was actually used so it caused actual damage.

Borek said:
In general when I see a video or read a text that uses such vague information - I don't believe it, as apparently whoever recorded/wrote it didn't understand basics.
See: "Sverdrup;" an "FYI."

Likes KingGambit
FYI, with not much googling you can verify the math. The wiki article for the asteroid says 72 teratonnes, or 10^12. Hiroshima was 15 kilotons, so it looks like 4.8 billion of them to me.

Likes KingGambit