What is the estimated number of animals in a forest using a Poisson model?

In summary, a distribution is a way of representing the possible outcomes or values of a variable. It can be discrete, where the variable can only take on a finite or countable number of values, or continuous, where the variable can take on any value within a certain range. A statistical model is a simplified representation of a real-world phenomenon or process, and fitting a distribution to data helps with understanding the data, making predictions, and identifying outliers. The Central Limit Theorem states that the sum of a large number of independent, identically distributed variables will tend towards a normal distribution, allowing for inferences to be made about a population based on a sample of data.
EvLer
I am not sure which distribution this is:
there are N animals in a forest, we don't know N but would like to estimate it... so, I need to select a model (distribution)

ps: i am trying to avoid Normal distribution...

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you permitted to capture and mark animals? If yes, using hypergeometric distbn. we can estimate N.

doesn't say anything about marking, i think they just count it in an area over time, that's my assumption, but the problem does not say. So, perhaps Poisson?

Related to What is the estimated number of animals in a forest using a Poisson model?

What is a distribution?

A distribution is a way of representing the possible outcomes or values of a variable and how frequently each outcome occurs. It can be shown as a graph, table, or mathematical formula.

What is the difference between a discrete and continuous distribution?

A discrete distribution is one where the variable can only take on a finite or countable number of values, while a continuous distribution is one where the variable can take on any value within a certain range. For example, the number of children in a family is discrete, while the height of a person is continuous.

What is a statistical model?

A statistical model is a simplified representation of a real-world phenomenon or process. It uses mathematical equations and statistical techniques to describe the relationships between variables and make predictions about future outcomes.

What is the purpose of fitting a distribution to data?

Fitting a distribution to data involves finding the best distribution that describes the data and its underlying patterns. This can help with understanding the data, making predictions, and identifying any outliers or unusual values.

What is the Central Limit Theorem?

The Central Limit Theorem states that the sum of a large number of independent, identically distributed variables will tend towards a normal distribution, regardless of the underlying distribution of the individual variables. This is important in statistics as it allows us to make inferences about a population based on a sample of data.