What Is the Expected Rate of Return on a $3 Million Investment Over Ten Years?

• Thread starter jhayes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
But then I thought, wait, maybe it's a trick question and the answer is just 100%, since 3 million dollars is expected to double to 6 million dollars in ten years.In summary, the conversation involves a request for an online calculator to solve a problem about an investment of 3 million dollars becoming 6 million dollars in ten years and the expected rate of return. The equations discussed include E(Ri) = Rf + ßi(Rm – Rf) which calculates the expected rate of return, and the possibility of using an annual percentage yield (APY) or simply 100% as the answer.
jhayes

Homework Statement

I have searched the net for an online calculator to figure out this problem. Your expertise would help!

An investment of 3 million dollars is expected to become 6 million dollars in ten years. What is the expected rate of return?

Homework Equations

E(Ri) = Rf + ßi(Rm – Rf); whereby E(Ri) is the expected rate of return on an investment, Rf is the rate of return on risk-free asset, ßi is an investment's beta, and (Rm – Rf) is the market risk premium;

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Since we're mostly people with physics and math backgrounds, many people in here probably don't even know what beta or market risk premium mean.

When I first read the question, it looked like a basic exponential growth problem, and they're asking for the annual percentage yield (APY) for the investment.

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with this problem. I understand the importance of accurately calculating expected rates of return in investments. The equation you provided is a commonly used method to calculate expected rates of return, and I can certainly help you apply it to this specific scenario.

To begin, we first need to determine the risk-free rate, which is typically the rate of return on a government bond. Let's assume that the current risk-free rate is 2%. Next, we need to determine the investment's beta, which measures the volatility of the investment compared to the overall market. Without this information, it is difficult to accurately calculate the expected rate of return. So, I would recommend reaching out to the source of this investment or conducting further research to determine its beta.

Assuming we have the necessary information, we can now calculate the expected rate of return using the equation you provided. Once we have this value, we can compare it to the expected return of 6 million dollars in ten years to determine if it is a favorable investment. It is also important to consider the potential risks associated with this investment and how they may impact the expected rate of return.

I hope this helps guide you in your calculations. If you need further assistance or clarification, please do not hesitate to reach out. Best of luck with your homework!

Related to What Is the Expected Rate of Return on a $3 Million Investment Over Ten Years?

What is the definition of expected rate of return?

Expected rate of return is the average amount of profit or loss an investor anticipates receiving on an investment over a period of time. It takes into account the potential risks and rewards associated with an investment.

How is expected rate of return calculated?

Expected rate of return is calculated by multiplying the probability of each potential return by its respective rate of return and then adding all of these values together. It can also be calculated using a formula that includes the expected return, risk-free rate, and risk premium.

What factors influence the expected rate of return?

The expected rate of return is influenced by a variety of factors, including the risk and volatility of the investment, the current economic and market conditions, and the performance of the company or asset being invested in.

Why is understanding expected rate of return important?

Understanding expected rate of return is important because it helps investors make informed decisions about their investments. It allows them to assess the potential risks and rewards of different investment options and choose the ones that align with their financial goals and risk tolerance.

Can expected rate of return be guaranteed?

No, expected rate of return cannot be guaranteed as it is based on assumptions and estimates. Actual returns may vary and can be affected by unforeseen events and market fluctuations. Therefore, it is important for investors to diversify their portfolio and not rely on expected rate of return as the sole factor in their investment decisions.