What is the expression for the spectrum of a hot gas with Doppler broadening?

In summary, the conversation discusses the emission of radiation from a hot gas enclosed in an oven with a small window. The molecules in the gas emit radiation at a characteristic wavelength due to their thermal motion, resulting in a spectrum of emitted wavelengths (Doppler broadening). The individuals are attempting to derive an expression for this spectrum, taking into account the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution and Doppler shift.
broegger
Hi,

A very hot gas is enclosed in an oven with a small window. The gas molecules emits radiation at a characteristic wavelength. I assume that because of the thermal motion of the molecules the emitted wavelengths will form a spectrum of some kind (Doppler broadening.) I am trying to derive an expression for this spectrum, but I don't know how... Any hints?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. There would be no Doppler broadening for molecules moving parallel to the plane of the window. Molecules moving away would have red shift, and molecules moving toward the window would have a blue shift. The higher the temperature, the greater the range of velocities.

Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/kintem.html#c2

Like Astronuc said, you know the Doppler shift as a function of atomic velocity, and you know the distribution for atomic velocities. It's basically a change of variables.

I tried to perform the calculation of the spectrum.
I got the spectrum dP/df (power emitted each frequency unit):

dP/df = Pt >< dv/df >< fr(v)

Pt is the total power emitted by the gas, fr(v) is the Maxwell distribution regarding the radial component of speed (component in observer's direction), and v(f) is the inverse of f(v) which gives the doppler frequency as a function of the radial velocity.

1. What is Doppler broadening in a gas?

Doppler broadening in a gas is a phenomenon where the spectral lines of a gas are broadened due to the random thermal motion of the gas molecules. This results in a distribution of frequencies rather than a single, sharp line.

2. How does Doppler broadening occur in a gas?

Doppler broadening occurs in a gas when the gas molecules are moving at different velocities due to their thermal energy. As the molecules move towards or away from an observer, the frequency of the emitted or absorbed light is shifted, resulting in a broadening of the spectral line.

3. What factors affect the extent of Doppler broadening in a gas?

The extent of Doppler broadening in a gas is affected by the temperature and molecular mass of the gas. Higher temperatures and lighter molecules result in greater Doppler broadening.

4. How is Doppler broadening used in spectroscopy?

Doppler broadening is used in spectroscopy to study the physical properties of gases, such as temperature, pressure, and composition. By measuring the extent of Doppler broadening in the spectral lines, scientists can gather information about the gas molecules and their behavior.

5. Can Doppler broadening be observed in other states of matter?

Yes, Doppler broadening can also occur in liquids and solids. In liquids, the broadening is caused by the motion of molecules within the liquid. In solids, it is caused by the vibrations of atoms within the crystal lattice. However, the extent of Doppler broadening is often smaller in these states compared to gases.