What is the focus and parameter of a parabola with vertex off the origin?

In summary: If you actually want to understand things, you need to start at the beginning and work your way through a subject in an orderly way. The only way to learn a subject is... to learn the subject. There's no shortcut. And there's no shortcut to understanding other than doing the work to understand. It is not possible to understand things you haven't actually studied.
robphy said:
Here's a tweak with some fancy Desmos tricks.
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/awuq5gbfvk
[long click the control circles to see]
First I want to clear one thing. If its established that a is a distance and cannot be negative or positive like you took in desmos graph then why are we talking about a<0 or a>0 in some of the posts and making graphs of it too?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
rudransh verma said:
First I want to clear one thing. If its established that a is a distance and cannot be negative or positive like you took in desmos graph then why are we talking about a<0 or a>0 in some of the posts and making graphs of it too?
In the case of a parabola that is oriented vertically (opens either up or down, not sideways or diagonally), ##a## can be treated as a displacement rather than as a distance.

Likes robphy
jbriggs444 said:
In the case of a parabola that is oriented vertically (opens either up or down, not sideways or diagonally), ##a## can be treated as a displacement rather than as a distance.
I think to avoid mistakes I should memorize the first four equations of parabola ie ##y^2=4ax, y^2=-4ax, x^2=4ay, x^2=-4ay##
Other than that all other equations involving h,k just are the extensions of these four equations whose vertices don't lie on origin. No matter what the equation of the parabola is just convert it to these eight eqns and the sign before a will tell the direction where the parabola opens up.
##y^2 = 4ax## Taking a>0, opens right. Taking a<0, opens left.
##y^2 = -4ax## Taking a>0, opens left. Taking a<0, opens right.
##x^2 = 4ay## Taking a>0, opens up. Taking a<0, opens down.
##x^2 = -4ay## Taking a>0, opens down. Taking a<0, opens up.
##(y – k)^2 = 4a(x – h)## Taking a>0, opens right. Taking a<0, opens left.
##(y – k)^2 = -4a(x – h)## Taking a>0, opens left. Taking a<0, opens right.
##(x – h)^2 = 4a(y – k)## Taking a>0, opens up. Taking a<0, opens down.
##(x – h)^2 = -4a(y – k)## Taking a>0, opens down. Taking a<0, opens up.

rudransh verma said:
##y^2 = 4ax## Taking a>0, opens right. Taking a<0, opens left.
##y^2 = -4ax## Taking a>0, opens left. Taking a<0, opens right.
Of course the second equation is equivalent to the first equation,
and may be more clear if the pair is written as
##y^2 = 4(\ a\ )x## Taking a>0, opens right. Taking a<0, opens left.
##y^2 = 4(-a)x## Taking a>0, opens left. Taking a<0, opens right.

or

##y^2 = 4(\ a\ )x## Taking a>0, opens right. Taking a<0, opens left.
##y^2 = 4(-a)x## Taking (-a)>0, opens right. Taking (-a)<0, opens left.

But if it helps you do the bookkeeping, stick with it [for now].

Graph including focus and directrix and an attempt to show distance of (x,y) from both is the same.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/17xqfbn4tp

Edit: added a circle centred at a point on the parabola and showing distance to focal point is the same as distance to directrix.

Last edited:
Likes robphy
jbriggs444 said:
You mean in physics. The correct way should be to fix ##a>0## that resembles the definition and use different versions of eqn to plot the graph. ##y^2=4ax## taking ##a>0## and ##y^2=-4ax## taking ##a<0## are basically the same eqns.

By the way can you convert ##y=\tan \theta x- \frac {gx^2}{2(v\cos \theta)^2}## into standard form like ##x^2=4ay##
I am unable to do it. This eqn is in the form ##y=ax^2+bx+c##
If it can’t be done then how are two standard forms related (like x^2=4ay and y=ax^2+bx+c).

Last edited:
neilparker62 said:
Graph including focus and directrix and an attempt to show distance of (x,y) from both is the same.
Nice effort but two a's in the first eqn? Is it correct? I don't think its in most simplified form.

rudransh verma said:
Nice effort but two a's in the first eqn? Is it correct? I don't think its in most simplified form.
It would not work if not correct. However I have modified to use the correct variables: $$(x-h)^2=4a(y-(d+a))$$ https://www.desmos.com/calculator/17xqfbn4tp

A glance at the parabola should tell you that 'k' the vertical shift parameter in your equation equals d+a where y=d is the equation of the directrix.

Last edited:
Likes rudransh verma
neilparker62 said:
It would not work if not correct. However I have modified to use the correct variables: $$(x-h)^2=4a(y-(d+a))$$ https://www.desmos.com/calculator/gq3qsmwreh

A glance at the parabola should tell you that 'k' the vertical shift parameter in your equation equals d+a where y=d is the equation of the directrix.
Nice!

jbriggs444 said:
##a## is a variable, yes. One might call it a "parameter" that describes the parabola. It is the distance between the "vertex" of the parabola and its "focus".

A parabola can be described based on a given line (the "directrix") and a given point (the "focus"). The point is called the "focus". The parabola is the set of points that are at the same distance from the directrix as they are from the focus.
Thanks for this - had a hazy memory of focal point and directrix and I did not know that variable "a" in this form of the equation is the distance you mention above.

Perhaps worth noting that the "a" here corresponds to ##\frac{1}{4a}## in other standard forms such as $$y=ax^2+bx+c$$ or $$y=a(x-p)^2+q$$