Solving Linear-Nonlinear Systems

• Thread starter Etheryte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary: The same logic applies for other conic sections, such as ellipses and hyperbolas. The "> 1" in the example problem implies that the shaded region is outside of the conic section.
Etheryte
1. Homework Statement

In a chapter in a book I'm studying from, they introduce quadratic inequalities (all conics, not just parabolas) but don't go over how to deduce which portion of the graph should be shaded. Considering there's two variables involved in these inequalities, I've been having trouble understanding without someone guidance.

I've included an image of one of their example problems of the two that were provided in the book.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1428006616.322451.jpg

2. Homework Equations

Circle has one standard form only, as for the rest the equation that's on a horizontal axis centered at origin and the second equation is on the vertical axis can be achieved by interchanging x and y. To manipulate the center, replace x^2 with (x-h)^2 and y^2 with (y-k)^2 (except for the parabola).
Standard Form of a Circle: x^2+y^2=r^2 (radius)
Standard Form of an Ellipse: x^2/a + y^2/b = 1
Standard Form of a Parabola: y = a(x-h)^2+k
Standard Form of a Hyperbola: x^2/a - y^2/b = 1

3. The Attempt at a Solution

After simplifying the second equation into it's standard form for example, I ended up with:

x^2/16 - y^2/4 > 1

I understand what the ellipse looks like and how to graph it and everything — but I don't understand what the "> 1" implies. I can understand that it means shade inside the conic section from the graph they've provided — but what does this imply for circles? Other hyperbolas?

I'm sorry, I'm completely lost on this chapter.
Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand what it is that you don't understand... what you are asking seems too simple.
You write that you understand what "the ellipse" looks like... did you mean the hyperbola?
Having sketched the conic, all you need to do is find which side of the curve matches the inequality, right? Find a point on an axis that is clearly in one region, substitute the x and y values in the equation, and see if the inequality is true.

Etheryte said:
1. Homework Statement

In a chapter in a book I'm studying from, they introduce quadratic inequalities (all conics, not just parabolas) but don't go over how to deduce which portion of the graph should be shaded. Considering there's two variables involved in these inequalities, I've been having trouble understanding without someone guidance.

I've included an image of one of their example problems of the two that were provided in the book.

View attachment 81397

2. Homework Equations

Circle has one standard form only, as for the rest the equation that's on a horizontal axis centered at origin and the second equation is on the vertical axis can be achieved by interchanging x and y. To manipulate the center, replace x^2 with (x-h)^2 and y^2 with (y-k)^2 (except for the parabola).
Standard Form of a Circle: x^2+y^2=r^2 (radius)
Standard Form of an Ellipse: x^2/a + y^2/b = 1
Standard Form of a Parabola: y = a(x-h)^2+k
Standard Form of a Hyperbola: x^2/a - y^2/b = 1

3. The Attempt at a Solution

After simplifying the second equation into it's standard form for example, I ended up with:

x^2/16 - y^2/4 > 1

I understand what the ellipse looks like and how to graph it and everything — but I don't understand what the "> 1" implies. I can understand that it means shade inside the conic section from the graph they've provided — but what does this imply for circles? Other hyperbolas?

I'm sorry, I'm completely lost on this chapter.
Andrew

If f(x,y) contains linear, quadratic and constant terms, you can usually determine the region f(x,y) >= 0 by checking if the origin (x,y)=(0,0) satisfies the inequality or not. The only time this fails is when the boundary f = 0 passes through the origin. In that case, test another point instead, such as (x,y ) = (1,0) or something similar.

@Etheryte: I may be being redundant with this but... I suppose it goes without saying that the graph of ##f(x,y)=0## is the locus of all points where the function is zero. That means everywhere else it is either true that ##f(x,y)>0## or ##f(x,y)<0##. So the graph divides the plane into those types of regions. Quadratics are all continuous so the function can't go from positive to negative anywhere but on the graph. That's why you only need to check a point in each region as others have suggested.

If you have a circle defined by the equation x2 + y2 = r2, then this circle is centered at the Origin and has radius r.

When you take a point (x0, y0) and plug its value into the equation for this circle:

if x02 + y02 = r2, the point (x0, y0) lies on the circle

if x02 + y02 < r2, the point (x0, y0) lies inside the circle

if x02 + y02 > r2, the point (x0, y0) lies outside the circle

What is a linear-nonlinear system?

A linear-nonlinear system is a mathematical model that combines both linear and nonlinear equations. Linear equations are those where the variables have an exponent of 1, while nonlinear equations have variables with exponents greater than 1 or with functions applied to them.

What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear system?

The main difference between a linear and nonlinear system is that linear systems have a constant rate of change, while nonlinear systems have a variable rate of change. In other words, the output of a linear system changes proportionally to the input, while the output of a nonlinear system changes in a non-proportional way.

How do you solve a linear-nonlinear system?

The most common method for solving a linear-nonlinear system is by substitution. This involves solving one of the equations for one of the variables, and then plugging that expression into the other equation. Another method is by using elimination, which involves adding or subtracting the equations to eliminate one of the variables.

Can a linear-nonlinear system have more than one solution?

Yes, a linear-nonlinear system can have multiple solutions. This occurs when the equations intersect at more than one point, resulting in more than one set of values that satisfy both equations.

What are some real-world applications of solving linear-nonlinear systems?

Solving linear-nonlinear systems is used in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to model and analyze complex systems, such as electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and economic markets. It is also used in data analysis and forecasting to make predictions and optimize processes.