What is the Formula for the Harmonic Curve?

In summary, The harmonic curve is a formula that begins at 1 on an x and y-axis, where x and y are equal to 1, and then for every subsequent posting, the curve approaches each axis but never reaches it. The formula for this curve is y = 1/x.
gaelhouse
I am trying to recall the formula that I call the harmonic curve, that gives the curve that begins at 1 on an x and y-axis where x & y equal 1 and then for every posting therafter:rolleyes: , the curve approaches each axis but never reaches the axis. Anyone know the forumula that will produce this result:rolleyes:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you thinking of y=1/x?

gaelhouse said:
I am trying to recall the formula that I call the harmonic curve, that gives the curve that begins at 1 on an x and y-axis where x & y equal 1 and then for every posting therafter:rolleyes: , the curve approaches each axis but never reaches the axis. Anyone know the forumula that will produce this result:rolleyes:

y = 1/x maybe?

I think he must be, seeing as there is the "harmonic series" of 1/n.

Related to What is the Formula for the Harmonic Curve?

1. What is a harmonic curve?

A harmonic curve is a sinusoidal curve that represents the relationship between two variables that are in harmonic motion, meaning they have a periodic and synchronized relationship.

2. How is a harmonic curve plotted?

A harmonic curve is plotted by using a mathematical equation, typically the sine function, to generate points on a graph. These points are then connected to create the smooth curve.

3. What are some common applications of plotting the harmonic curve?

Plotting the harmonic curve is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze and understand the behavior of systems in harmonic motion, such as pendulums, springs, and electrical circuits.

4. Can the harmonic curve be used to predict future values?

Yes, the harmonic curve can be used to make predictions about future values of a variable, as long as the underlying relationship between the variables remains consistent.

5. How does the amplitude and period of a harmonic curve affect its shape?

The amplitude and period of a harmonic curve directly affect its shape. Increasing the amplitude will stretch the curve vertically, while changing the period will cause the curve to be compressed or stretched horizontally.