Finding Perpendicular Spirals in a Family of Curves

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a family of curves that intersect at a single point and can be obtained by rotating one curve around an axis at the intersection point. The goal is to find a sufficient condition for the tangents of any point on one curve to be perpendicular to the tangents of the same point on the other curves. The solution proposed is a family of spirals with equal distances between adjacent curves and integration boundaries. However, further steps are needed to fully prove this solution.
IWantToLearn
I am looking for a family of curves where if we consider one curve of them and get the tangent of that curve at any arbitrary point on the curve, then you will always find a point in the other curves where the tangent of this point is perpendicular to the tangent of the first point.

My guess for the solution of this, is that i am looking for a family of spirals that is sink in or out of some point.
but this is just a guess without any rigorous prove,

I tried this:
let ##y_n## be the family of curves, consider two adjacent curves ##y_1 (x)## and ##y_2 (x)##, and that first derivatives (slopes of the tangents) are ##y^\prime_1## and ##y^\prime_2##

for those two tangents to be perpendicular we must have ##y^\prime_1 y^\prime_2 = -1##

lets consider ##S## an equal distance around the curves, where ##S_1 = S_2 = S##, then we have :

##S_1 = \int_{x_1}^{x_2} \sqrt{1+{y^\prime_1}^2} \, dx##
##S_2 = \int_{x_3}^{x_4} \sqrt{1+{y^\prime_2}^2} \, dx##

Assuming we know all the integration boundaries ##x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4##
so we can write

##\int_{x_1}^{x_2} \sqrt{1+{y^\prime_1}^2} \, dx = \int_{x_3}^{x_4} \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{{y^\prime_1}^2}} \, dx##

but i don't know what to do next?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tangents.jpg

thank you for your interest in the question, i was not quite clear in stating the problem, by family of curves i mean a family curves that all intersect at one single point, and they are identical such that you can have them all by rotating one of them around an axis at the point of intersection.

something like this
https://www.google.com/search?q=rot...m=isch&q=rotated+curves&imgrc=6pYzj4IXzb-XsM:

IWantToLearn said:
you will always find a point in the other curves where the tangent of this point is perpendicular to the tangent of the first point.
A sufficient condition would be that for any given slope and any given curve there is a point on the curve at which the tangent has that slope. The family of circles of a given radius and passing through a common point would do.

1. What is the significance of finding perpendicular spirals in a family of curves?

Finding perpendicular spirals in a family of curves can provide insight into the underlying mathematical relationships and symmetries within the curves. It can also help in discovering new patterns and connections between different curves.

2. How does one identify perpendicular spirals in a family of curves?

To identify perpendicular spirals in a family of curves, one must first analyze the equations of the curves and determine the relationships between them. Then, the angles between the curves must be calculated and compared to see if they are perpendicular. This can also be visualized by graphing the curves and looking for intersecting perpendicular lines.

3. Can perpendicular spirals exist in any type of curve?

Perpendicular spirals can exist in a wide variety of curves, including polynomial, exponential, and trigonometric curves. However, they may not exist in all types of curves, as it depends on the specific mathematical relationships and symmetries present in the family of curves.

4. Are there any real-world applications for finding perpendicular spirals in a family of curves?

Yes, there are several real-world applications for this concept. For example, it can be used in image processing and computer vision to identify symmetries and patterns in images. It can also be applied in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of waves and other physical phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to finding perpendicular spirals in a family of curves?

One limitation is that the concept may not be applicable to all types of curves, as mentioned earlier. Additionally, it may be challenging to identify perpendicular spirals in a family of curves with complex equations or a large number of curves. It also requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and tools such as calculus and graphing to accurately identify and analyze these spirals.