What is the formula to find inertia with velocity and mass?

In summary, Megan tried to find the inertia of a 10 kg object moving at a speed of 2 meters per second. She found that the inertia is 20 kilograms per second and the momentum is 5 kilograms per second.
Megan1000

Homework Statement

v=2m/s
m=10kg
find the inertia

At first i did 2m/s times by 10kg which is 20 but i also did 2m/s divided by 10kg =0.2 and 10kg divided by 2m/s= 5 but I'm unsure which method is correct.
and momentum apparently isn't the same as inertia...

Inertia is when an object carries on doing the same thing unless an unbalanced force is acting on it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Megan1000,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Megan1000 said:

Homework Statement

v=2m/s
m=10kg
find the inertia
Note that you need to fill out the entire template and show what you've tried in order to solve the problem, or at least explain your understanding of it so far. Helpers are not permitted to offer any guidance otherwise.

Can you explain what you mean by "inertia"? Is it a term that is defined in your course notes or course textbook? Perhaps you meant "momentum"?

gneill said:
Hi Megan1000,

Welcome to Physics Forums.Note that you need to fill out the entire template and show what you've tried in order to solve the problem, or at least explain your understanding of it so far. Helpers are not permitted to offer any guidance otherwise.

Can you explain what you mean by "inertia"? Is it a term that is defined in your course notes or course textbook? Perhaps you meant "momentum"?
at first i did 2m/s times by 10kg which is 20 but i also did 2 divided by 10 =0.2 and 10 divided by 2= 5 but I'm unsure which method is correct.
and momentum apparently isn't the same as inertia...

Inertia is this property, which is talked about, but rarely used in calculations (except when referring to Moment of Inertia, for objects which rotate).
Being that inertia is resistance to change in motion, the closest thing to inertia, is the mass of the object.
If you meant something different, then please clarify the problem statement.

Likes Megan1000
scottdave said:
Inertia is this property, which is talked about, but rarely used in calculations (except when referring to Moment of Inertia, for objects which rotate).
Being that inertia is resistance to change in motion, the closest thing to inertia, is the mass of the object.
If you meant something different, then please clarify the problem statement.
so what should i use instead then?

never mind ...
the question wanted me to work out the order from smallest to greatest inertia and it gave me more things like the first thing i showed.
it gave me the mass, and the more mass you have the more inertia you have. so i put them in order of smallest to largest mass.
lol
thanks anyways x

Next time please post the problem statement word for word using the template. This is to avoid helpers wasting time trying to guess the real question.

Related to What is the formula to find inertia with velocity and mass?

1. What is inertia and why is it important to understand?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion. It is important to understand because it helps us understand how objects behave and move in different situations.

2. What is the formula for finding inertia with velocity and mass?

The formula for finding inertia with velocity and mass is inertia = mass x velocity. This means that the greater the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its inertia will be.

3. How does velocity affect an object's inertia?

Velocity affects an object's inertia by increasing it. The faster an object is moving, the more difficult it is to change its direction or stop it, due to its greater inertia.

4. Does an object's shape affect its inertia?

Yes, an object's shape can affect its inertia. Objects with irregular shapes may have different amounts of inertia in different directions, while objects with symmetrical shapes have the same amount of inertia in all directions.

5. Can inertia be negative?

No, inertia cannot be negative. It is a property of matter and is always positive. However, it can be cancelled out by an equal and opposite force, resulting in a state of equilibrium.