What Is the frequency of red light?

In summary, the equation v=fxλ tells you the frequency of light given its wavelength. Wavelength/λ =700nm so v=300,000,000.
Daniel Kh

Homework Statement

The speed of light in a vacuum is 3.00x(10*8)m/s. Using the equation v=fxλ, calculate the frequency of red-light. (I was told to use the wavelengths given from textbook)
Wavelength/λ =700nm

v=300,000,000 <-- ( I need help understanding this. Is this a rate? Or?)

Homework Equations

700nm = 0.00000070 meters.
^ This is what I'm confused on, do i convert this then plug it into the equation or? I'm also confused on how to plug it in.

The Attempt at a Solution

v= 3x(10*8)=300,000,000
f= 300,000,000/0.00000070=4.2857143*14 <-- I understand this is the wrong answer, however I'm terribly confused as to how to find the correct one. Even looking at examples, I don't understand what's converted and how to go about answering it.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Daniel Kh and welcome to PF.

How do you know the answer is wrong? It looks OK to me.

Likes Daniel Kh
Daniel Kh said:
v=300,000,000 <-- ( I need help understanding this. Is this a rate? Or?)
That is the speed of light. Light travels at 300,000,000 meters per second (m/s). (Actually, if I remember correctly, I think the exact speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s.) So if your answer of 4.2857143 x 10^14 is wrong, you may want to consider trying a more exact value for the speed of light.

Also, if your answer is being check by some computer system, I could see how an answer of 4.2857143*14 could be considered wrong (if that is exactly how it was entered) - unless the asterisk is interpreted by that software to be exponential notation. It reads as if you are multiplying 4.2857143 times 14.
I would have written it 4.2857143*10^14, if I was using Excel, for example. That may just be a typo on this posting, but I was just trying to think of different ways that your answer could be considered incorrect.

Likes Daniel Kh
Thanks guys!
I'm just confused on how to put that down? Do i include the power of 14? And yes, the asterick was a typo, i meant the "^".
Do I just write it has a frequency of 4.3^14?
Or should I write out the long zeroes..?
The reason I assumed it was wrong is that when i googled It, i found answers about it being something around 500Hz and that threw me off.
Should I just put 4.3 as a whole and add "Hertz" or "Hz" at the end?
Sorry for the confusion!

Daniel Kh said:
Do I just write it has a frequency of 4.3^14?
That is incorrect also. That is 4.28 to the 14th power.
Maybe you could try 4.28e14. That is fairly standard.

Edit: That is standard notation for 4.28 x 10^14.

Ah I see.
I solved It.
Thanks a ton guys! I now see Physics is very very specific.
Thanks again!

Likes TomHart

1. What is the frequency of red light?

The frequency of red light is approximately 4.3x10^14 Hz, which corresponds to a wavelength of 700 nanometers.

2. How does red light compare to other colors in terms of frequency?

Red light has a lower frequency compared to other visible colors such as blue and violet, but a higher frequency compared to colors like orange and yellow.

3. Can the frequency of red light be changed?

Yes, the frequency of red light can be changed by altering the energy level of the light source or by passing it through certain materials that affect its wavelength.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding the frequency of red light?

Understanding the frequency of red light is important in various fields such as astronomy, telecommunications, and medicine. It helps in studying the properties of light, developing new technology, and diagnosing medical conditions.

5. Does the frequency of red light have any impact on human health?

Red light is considered to have low frequency and low energy, so it does not have any harmful effects on human health. In fact, it has been used in certain therapies and treatments for its potential healing properties.