What is the growth rate of a differentiable function?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of growth rate and its relationship to a differentiable function $u(t)$. The formula for growth rate is given as $\text{Growth rate} = \frac {\frac{\Delta u}{u}}{\Delta t}$ and it is shown that this can also be written as $\text{Growth rate} = \frac{d(\ln u(t))}{dt}$. The conversation also explores the difference between the slope of a function's graph and its growth rate.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

We have that the differentiable function $u(t)$ is stricly positiv for all $t\in [0,\infty)$ and that $w$ is the continuous growth rate of $u(t)$.
I want to show that $$w_u(t)=\frac{d(\ln u(t))}{dt}$$How is the formula for the growth rate? Is it maybe given by $w(t)=\frac{u(t)-u(0)}{u(0)}$ ? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

We have that the differentiable function $u(t)$ is stricly positiv for all $t\in [0,\infty)$ and that $w$ is the constant growth rate of $u(t)$.
I want to show that $$w_u(t)=\frac{d(\ln u(t))}{dt}$$How is the formula for the growth rate? Is it maybe given by $w(t)=\frac{u(t)-u(0)}{u(0)}$ ? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari! (Smile)

That depends on the definition of growth rate, which depends on the area of expertise that it applies to.
For instance the population growth rate is the percentage growth of a population per unit of time, while in business the compound annual growth rate is the geometric progression ratio that provides a constant rate of return over the time period.

Which "growth rate" are we talking about? (Wondering)

EDIT: Actually, they are probably the same thing. I think it's the growth fraction per unit of time.
$$\text{Growth rate} = \frac {\frac{\Delta u}{u}}{\Delta t} = \frac {\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta t}}{u} = \frac{u'(t)}{u(t)}$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Actually, they are probably the same thing. I think it's the growth fraction per unit of time.
$$\text{Growth rate} = \frac {\frac{\Delta u}{u}}{\Delta t} = \frac {\frac{\Delta u}{\Delta t}}{u} = \frac{u'(t)}{u(t)}$$
(Thinking)

How do we get the formula $\text{Growth rate} = \frac {\frac{\Delta u}{u}}{\Delta t} $ and especially the numerator? I got stuck right now... (Wondering)
P.S. I changed at my first post the "constant growth rate" to "continuous growth rate".

Last edited by a moderator:
Suppose we start with a population $u$ of 100 and 2 days later the population is 110.

Then the population increase $\Delta u$ is:
$$\Delta u=10$$
in those 2 days.

The growth fraction or growth proportion is the increase in population divided by the population size:
$$\text{Growth fraction} = \frac{\Delta u}{u} = \frac{10}{100} = 0.1 = 10\%$$

And the growth rate is the growth fraction per unit of time:
$$\text{Growth rate} = \frac{\text{Growth fraction}}{\Delta t} = \frac{10\%}{2 \text{ days}} = 5\frac{\%}{\text{day}} = 0.05 \text{ day}^{-1}$$

In other words, the formula for growth rate is:
$$\text{Growth rate} = \frac{\frac{\Delta u}{u}}{\Delta t}$$

This growth rate can change continuously from one time to another.
To get an accurate and stable number, we take the limit $\Delta t \to 0$ to get:
$$\text{Growth rate} = \lim_{\Delta t \to 0} \frac{\frac{\Delta u}{u}}{\Delta t} = \frac 1u \lim_{\Delta t \to 0} \frac{\Delta u}{\Delta t} = \frac{u'}{u}$$
(Thinking)

Ah ok! (Nerd)

Is the continuous growth rate of a function the slope of its graph? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Is the continuous growth rate of a function the slope of its graph? (Wondering)

Nope.
The slope of the graph is the increase per unit of time.
The growth rate is the proportional increase per unit of time - it's the slope divided by the function value. (Nerd)

Alternatively, it's the slope of the graph of $\ln u$, since we have:
$$\text{Growth rate} = \d{(\ln u)}{t} = \frac{u'}{u}$$
(Thinking)

I like Serena said:
Alternatively, it's the slope of the graph of $\ln u$, since we have:
$$\text{Growth rate} = \d{(\ln u)}{t} = \frac{u'}{u}$$
(Thinking)

Ah ok... I see! (Smile)

Thank you very much! (Mmm)

What is the growth rate of a function?

The growth rate of a function is a measure of how quickly the function's output value changes in relation to its input value. It is often represented as the ratio of change in output to change in input, or as a percentage change.

Why is the growth rate of a function important?

The growth rate of a function is important because it can provide insights into the behavior and characteristics of the function. It can help determine the rate of change, identify patterns and trends, and make predictions about future values.

How is the growth rate of a function calculated?

The growth rate of a function can be calculated using various methods, depending on the type of function. For linear functions, the growth rate can be determined by finding the slope of the line. For exponential functions, the growth rate can be calculated by finding the base of the exponent.

What factors can affect the growth rate of a function?

The growth rate of a function can be affected by various factors, such as the initial value, the rate of change, and the type of function. Other external factors, such as economic conditions or technological advancements, can also impact the growth rate of a function.

How can the growth rate of a function be used in real-world applications?

The growth rate of a function has many practical applications, such as in finance, economics, and science. It can be used to analyze market trends, forecast future growth, and make informed decisions in business and investment. In science, it can be used to model population growth, calculate reaction rates, and understand the behavior of natural phenomena.