What is the heat liberated when 10g of citric acid is combusted at 298k?

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion of finding the heat of combustion of solid citric acid and the heat liberated when 10g of citric acid is combusted at 298k. The question asks for clarification on whether to use constant pressure or constant volume, and why specifying pressure is not necessary. The hint suggests converting mass into moles and considering the units of deltaH.
rcs
I am confused on how to find out the heat of combustion of solid citric acid to water and carbondioxide that is deltaH 296 -1986 kJ/mol. I need to figure out the heat liberated when 10g of citric acid is totally combusted at 298k? *a) At constant pressure?? at constant volume?? and why is it not necessary to specify the pressure in part a?

Physics news on Phys.org
hello can one give me some input

rcs said:
I am confused on how to find out the heat of combustion of solid citric acid to water and carbondioxide that is deltaH 296 -1986 kJ/mol. I need to figure out the heat liberated when 10g of citric acid is totally combusted at 298k? *a) At constant pressure?? at constant volume?? and why is it not necessary to specify the pressure in part a?

HINT: Think about converting your mass into moles. (what units is [itex]\Delta H[/itex] given as)?

Related to What is the heat liberated when 10g of citric acid is combusted at 298k?

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

What is the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system (a system that does not exchange matter or energy with its surroundings) will never decrease over time. In other words, the natural flow of energy is from a state of order to a state of disorder.

How is the third law of thermodynamics defined?

The third law of thermodynamics states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero. This means that at absolute zero, there is no disorder or randomness in the crystal, and all molecular motion ceases.

What is the difference between an open and closed thermodynamic system?

An open thermodynamic system allows both matter and energy to be exchanged with its surroundings, while a closed system only allows for the exchange of energy. This means that an open system can gain or lose mass, while a closed system cannot.

How does the law of thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

The laws of thermodynamics apply to many everyday processes, such as cooking, energy production, and transportation. For example, when cooking food, the energy from the stove is transferred to the food, causing it to increase in temperature. In energy production, the second law of thermodynamics explains why some energy is always lost in the form of heat during the transformation of one form of energy to another. In transportation, the first law of thermodynamics explains why a car needs to constantly refuel, as energy is continuously being converted from fuel to motion and lost in the form of heat.