What Is the Impact of Mapping in Linear Transformations from P2 to P3?

In summary: T(c1)=T(1)=(t+5)(1)=t+5, [T(c1)] relative to C =[5,1,0,0,]. Similarly, T(b2)=T(t)=(t+5)(t)=t^2+5t and [T(b2)] relative to C =[0,5,1,0]. T(c2)=T(t)=(t+5)(t)=t^2+5t and [T(c2)] relative to C =[0,5,1,0].In summary, the transformation T maps a polynomial p(t) into the polynomial (t+5)p(t). The image of p(t)= 2-t+(t^2)
Pouyan

Homework Statement

Let T: P2 --> P3 be the transformation that maps a polynomial p(t) into the polynomial (t+5)p(t).

a) find the image of p(t)= 2-t+(t^2)
b) Find the matrix for T relative to bases {1,t,t^2} and {1,t,t^2,t^3}.

Homework Equations

Given

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I know (t+5)p(t)=(t+5)(2-t+(t^2))= 10-3t+4(t^2)+(t^3)

b) I see in solution T(1) = (t+5) (1)= t+5
T(t) = (t+5)(t)
T(t^2)=(t+5)(t^2)
and so on ...

My question is why T(1)= 1 and T(t) = t ?! I see that T(1) means p(t)=1 or T(t)=p(t)=t but why is this so ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pouyan said:

Homework Statement

Let T: P2 --> P3 be the transformation that maps a polynomial p(t) into the polynomial (t+5)p(t).

a) find the image of p(t)= 2-t+(t^2)
b) Find the matrix for T relative to bases {1,t,t^2} and {1,t,t^2,t^3}.

Homework Equations

Given

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I know (t+5)p(t)=(t+5)(2-t+(t^2))= 10-3t+4(t^2)+(t^3)

b) I see in solution T(1) = (t+5) (1)= t+5
T(t) = (t+5)(t)
T(t^2)=(t+5)(t^2)
and so on ...

My question is why T(1)= 1 and T(t) = t ?! I see that T(1) means p(t)=1 or T(t)=p(t)=t but why is this so ?!
T(1) isn't equal to 1, nor is T(t) equal to t. Why do you think they are?

Likes Pouyan
vela said:
T(1) isn't equal to 1, nor is T(t) equal to t. Why do you think they are?
I see in my solution B={1,t,t^2} and C={1,t,t^2,t^3} Since T(b1)=T(1)=(t+5)(1)=t+5, [T(b1)] relative to C =[5,1,0,0,]

Related to What Is the Impact of Mapping in Linear Transformations from P2 to P3?

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations, vector spaces, and linear transformations. It involves the use of algebraic techniques to solve problems involving lines, planes, and higher-dimensional objects.

What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

Some of the basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are used to represent and solve problems in a variety of fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is an expression consisting of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication operations. It is a fundamental concept in algebra and is used to represent a wide range of mathematical functions.

What is the degree of a polynomial?

The degree of a polynomial is the highest power of the variable in the expression. For example, the degree of the polynomial 3x^2 + 5x + 2 is 2, as the variable x is raised to the second power. The degree of a polynomial helps determine its properties and behavior.

How is linear algebra used in polynomial functions?

Linear algebra is used to represent and solve polynomial functions in a variety of ways. Matrices can be used to represent systems of polynomial equations, while eigenvectors and eigenvalues can be used to find critical points and extrema of polynomial functions. Additionally, concepts such as vector spaces and linear transformations can provide insights into the behavior of polynomial functions.