What is the impulse on the ball from the string?

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball of mass 1.00Kg attached to a loose string fixed to a ceiling. The ball is released and falls 2.00m, where the string suddenly stops it. The problem asks to find the impulse on the ball from the string. The solution involves using kinematic equations to find the time it takes for the ball to fall and the initial velocity. The final momentum is then calculated, and it is found that the initial momentum is not actually 0, but rather -mv. The final momentum is then equal to mv, which is the correct answer for the impulse.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 1.00Kg is attached to a loose string fixed to a ceiling.The ball is released from the rest and falls 2.00m,where the string suddenly stops it.Find the impulse on it from the string.

Homework Equations

.[/B]
Kinematic equations
##\vec J=\vec FΔt=Δ\vec P##

The Attempt at a Solution

+z direction is upward.
##ΔH=v_0t+\frac 1 2at^2## so this becames

##-2m=0-\frac 1 2gt^2##
##t=0.638 s##

and

##-2m=v_0t-\frac 1 2gt^2##
we know ##t## so
##-2-1.99=v_0(0.638s)##
##v_0=-6.25\frac m s##

then
##\vec J=\vec FΔt=Δ\vec P##
so
##P_f=m(-6.25)##
##P_i=m0##
##ΔP=-m6.25=-6.25Ns=J##

answer says ##6.25Ns## so there's no minus sign...
I didnt understand why...The question says "Find the impulse on it from the string" so the thing I found is some other impulse which created by something else..?

Physics news on Phys.org
The final momentum ##P_f## is what again? Did the problem statement not say that the string stops it?

jbriggs444 said:
The final momentum ##P_f## is what again? Did the problem statement not say that the string stops it?

Is it wrong ?.I just wrote the velocity of the ball...Sure,spring stops it.I see I guess.

Arman777 said:
Is it wrong ?.I just wrote the velocity of the ball...Sure,spring stops it.I see I guess.
What is the "initial" condition just before the string stops the ball?
What is the "final" condition just after the string stops the ball?

Likes Arman777
Ohh ##P_i## is not ##0## its ##-mv## so ##0-(-m v)=mv## I solved

Likes jbriggs444
Thank you

Related to What is the impulse on the ball from the string?

1. What is "İmpulse from the string"?

"İmpulse from the string" refers to the transfer of energy and momentum from a string to an object attached to it. This can occur when the string is plucked, struck, or pulled, causing the object to move.

2. How is "İmpulse from the string" calculated?

The impulse from the string is calculated using the formula I = FΔt, where I is the impulse, F is the force applied to the object, and Δt is the time interval over which the force is applied.

3. What factors affect the "İmpulse from the string"?

The "İmpulse from the string" can be affected by the force applied to the object, the stiffness and tension of the string, and the mass and velocity of the object.

4. How is "İmpulse from the string" related to sound production in musical instruments?

The "İmpulse from the string" is essential in producing sound in musical instruments such as guitars and violins. When the strings are plucked or bowed, the impulse from the string causes the strings to vibrate, creating sound waves that we hear as music.

5. Can the "İmpulse from the string" be controlled?

Yes, the "İmpulse from the string" can be controlled by adjusting the force and tension on the string, as well as the properties of the object attached to it. This is how musicians are able to produce different pitches and tones on string instruments.