What is the Invariant Mass of Two Perpendicular Photons?

In summary, the invariant mass of two photons is a fundamental property in physics that is used to measure the total energy and momentum of two photons combined. It is calculated using the formula E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2 and can provide information about particles and the energy and momentum of these particles. It remains constant in all reference frames and is significant in understanding the origins and evolution of the universe.
rashida564
TL;DR Summary
Two photons travels perpendicular to each other find their invariant mass
I think since Esystem=(PsystemC)^2 + (Minvariant C^2)^2. Then the invariant mass of the system should be zero, but I am hesitated with this is it always the case that photon that travels perpendicular to each other have zero invariant mass

Physics news on Phys.org
rashida564 said:
Summary:: Two photons travels perpendicular to each other find their invariant mass

I think since Esystem=(PsystemC)^2 + (Minvariant C^2)^2. Then the invariant mass of the system should be zero, but I am hesitated with this is it always the case that photon that travels perpendicular to each other have zero invariant mass
Only a system of photons that travel in the same direction has zero invariant mass. As soon as you add a single photon traveling in a different direction, the invariant mass will be non-zero.

Edit: Your equation should also contain E^2, not E.

The general recipe for finding the invariant mass of a system works here: Choose an inertial frame in which the total momentum is zero; the energy in that frame is the rest energy; invariant mass is then calculated from ##E=mc^2##.

If the two photons are moving in the same direction then there is no frame in which the momentum is zero and then this recipe cannot be used.

Nugatory said:
The general recipe for finding the invariant mass of a system works here: Choose an inertial frame in which the total momentum is zero; the energy in that frame is the rest energy; invariant mass is then calculated from ##E=mc^2##.

I disagree, since it is not applicable when the invariant mass is zero, it cannot be a general recipe. Instead, I would compute the invariant mass from the relation provided by the OP (apart from the missing square), ##E^2 = (\vec pc)^2 + m^2 c^4##. For the two-photon system, it is simple enough to compute the total energy and the momenta given the photons' directions and energies.

The total mass of a system is given by
$$m^2 c^2=P_{\mu} P^{\mu}=s,$$
where ##P_{\mu}## is the total momentum. For two photons you have
$$s=(q_1+q_2)^2=q_1^2 + q_2^2 + 2 q_1 \cdot q_2=2 q_1 \cdot q_2$$
From this you get
$$m^2=\frac{2}{c^2} q_1 \cdot q_2.$$
Now
$$q_1=(|\vec{q}_1|,\vec{q}_1), \quad q_2 = (\vec{q}_2,\vec{q}_2)$$
and thus [EDIT: Corrected in view of #6]
$$m^2 = \frac{2}{c^2} (|\vec{q}_1| |\vec{q}_2|-\vec{q}_1 \cdot \vec{q}_2)=\frac{2}{c^2} |\vec{q}_1| |\vec{q}_2| (1-\cos \vartheta),$$
where ##\vartheta \in [0,\pi]## is the angle between ##\vec{q}_1## and ##\vec{q}_2##. Thus you always get a well defined ##m^2>0## always.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
vanhees71 said:
The total mass of a system is given by
and thus
$$m^2 = \frac{2}{c^2} (|\vec{q}_1| |\vec{q}_2|-\vec{q}_1 \cdot \vec{q}_2)=\frac{2}{c^2} |\vec{q}_1| |\vec{q}_2| \sin^2 \vartheta,$$
where ##\vartheta \in [0,\pi]## is the angle between ##\vec{q}_1## and ##\vec{q}_2##. Thus you always get a well defined ##m^2>0## always.
Shouldn’t sin2 be (1 - cos ), i.e. not squared, in the last step? Note, with yours, parallel and anti parallel would be the same, which is incorrect.

Otherwise, love the derivation.

##\frac{4}{c^2}|\vec q_1||\vec q_2|\sin^2 \frac{\vartheta}{2}##?

SiennaTheGr8 said:
##\frac{4}{c^2}|\vec q_1||\vec q_2|\sin^2 \frac{\vartheta}{2}##?
That’s, of course, equivalent to what I wrote.

Yes, just guessing that that's what @vanhees71 meant to write.

Of course you are right. It's a typo (I've corrected it also in the original posting).

1. What is the definition of invariant mass of two photons?

The invariant mass of two photons is the mass of a hypothetical particle that would have the same total energy and momentum as the two photons. It is a property of the system of two photons and does not change regardless of the reference frame.

2. How is the invariant mass of two photons calculated?

The invariant mass of two photons is calculated using the formula minv = √(E12 + E22 + 2E1E2cosθ), where E1 and E2 are the energies of the two photons and θ is the angle between them. This formula is derived from the conservation of energy and momentum in special relativity.

3. Why is the invariant mass of two photons important in particle physics?

The invariant mass of two photons is important in particle physics because it can provide information about the nature of particles and their interactions. In particular, it can help identify the presence of new particles or the decay of known particles into photons.

4. Can the invariant mass of two photons be negative?

No, the invariant mass of two photons cannot be negative. This is because the square root in the formula for calculating the invariant mass will always result in a positive value, and energy and mass are always positive quantities in physics.

5. How does the invariant mass of two photons differ from the mass of a single photon?

The invariant mass of two photons is a property of the system of two photons and is a result of their combined energy and momentum. On the other hand, the mass of a single photon is considered to be zero, as photons are massless particles. However, the combined energy and momentum of two photons can still result in a non-zero invariant mass.