What is the Limit of a Radical Expression with a Variable in the Denominator?

In summary, the limit as h approaches 0 of (f(x(sub 0)+h)-f(x(sub 0))/h, where f(x)=3\sqrt{x}+2 and x(sub 0)=9, can be solved using limit laws and factoring. After factoring the numerator, rationalizing the numerator by multiplying both the top and bottom by 3\sqrt{9+h}+9 allows us to cancel out the h's in the denominator. Finally, by substituting h=0 in the expression, we can solve for the limit, which is 3/6 or 1/2.
Bear_B

Homework Statement

lim as h->0 of (f(x(sub 0)+h)-f(x(sub 0))/h

f(x)=3[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex]+2
x(sub 0)=9

Homework Equations

limit laws and factoring (my first post, not sure what I need to write here)

The Attempt at a Solution

=lim as h->0 of (f(9+h)-f(9)0/h
=lim as h->0 of (3[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]+2-(3[tex]\sqrt{9}[/tex]+2)/h
=lim as h->0 of (3[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]+2-3[tex]\sqrt{9}[/tex]-2)/h
=lim as h->0 of (3[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]-9)/h

I am stuck here. I know I need to somehow move h out of the denominator(most likely by factoring) but am stuck on how to deal with the radical in the numerator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rationalize the numerator by multiplying both the top and bottom by [tex]3\sqrt{9+h}+9[/tex].

Ok, so I multiplied the numerator and denominator by 3[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]+9 and am still having problems, here's what I got:

=lim as h->0 of (3[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]-9)/h * (3[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]+9)/(3[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]+9)

=lim as h->0 of (9(9+h)+27[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]-27[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]-81)/(3h[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]+9h)

=lim as h->0 of (81+h-81)/(3h[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]+9h)

=lim as h->0 of h/(3h[tex]\sqrt{9+h}[/tex]+9h)

ok, I am stuck here again and don't see what I did wrong or what I still need to do

You didn't distribute the 9 in the second line of your work; that will give you 9h in the numerator. Also, don't distribute the h in the denominator.
This is what you should have now without distributing it:

[tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{9h}{h(3\sqrt{9 + h} + 9)}[/tex]

The h's cancel and then you can let h=0 in the expression.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help vela, you got me on the right track, and thanks Bohrok, you caught my mistake. I started over and worked it out and got the right answer.

Related to What is the Limit of a Radical Expression with a Variable in the Denominator?

What is a limit with radical problem?

A limit with radical problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as the input variable gets closer and closer to a given value, typically represented by a radical (square root) symbol.

How do you solve a limit with radical problem?

To solve a limit with radical problem, you first need to determine if the function is continuous at the given input value. If it is continuous, you can simply substitute the input value into the function to find the limit. If it is not continuous, you will need to use algebraic manipulation or L'Hopital's rule to simplify the function and then substitute the input value.

What is the importance of understanding limits with radical problems?

Understanding limits with radical problems is crucial in various fields of science and engineering, as it allows for the precise determination of values that may not be directly attainable. It also helps in analyzing the behavior of functions and their derivatives, which is essential in studying complex systems and making predictions.

Can a limit with radical problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, a limit with radical problem can have multiple solutions. This can occur when the function has a removable discontinuity or when the limit approaches different values from the left and right sides of the input value. In these cases, both solutions should be considered and evaluated.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a limit with radical problem?

One common mistake to avoid when solving a limit with radical problem is incorrectly using the properties of limits, such as assuming that the limit of a sum is equal to the sum of the limits. It is also important to check for continuity and apply appropriate algebraic manipulation or rules, such as L'Hopital's rule, when necessary.