What is the location of the second and third water drops in a falling shower?

In summary, the problem involves finding the locations of the second and third drops when the first drop hits the floor. The total time it takes for one drop to hit the floor was found using an equation, and was split into four equal intervals according to the problem's statement. However, it was later determined that there are actually three intervals involved, and a diagram was suggested to properly understand the situation.
rocomath
Water drips from the nozzle of a shower onto the floor 200cm below. The drops fall at regular equal intervals of time, the first drop striking the floor at the instant the fourth begins to fall. Find the locations of the second and third drops when the first strikes the floor.

First I found the total time it takes for 1 drop to hit the bottom of the floor with equation (1): [tex]y-y_0=v_0t-\frac 1 2 gt^2[/tex]

[tex]\Delta y =-200cm[/tex]
[tex]v_0=0m/s[/tex]

Solved for t: [tex]t=\sqrt \frac{-2y}{g}=\sqrt \frac{-2 \times -0.200m}{9.81 m/s}}\approx .202s[/tex]

From there, I split the time into 4 equal intervals, and used those times I got and plugged it back into equation (1). But this method isn't correct, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From there, I split the time into 4 equal intervals
Why do you think it should be split into 4 intervals?

hage567 said:
Why do you think it should be split into 4 intervals?
Well the problem states "The drops fall at regular equal intervals of time" and so that's what I went by.

I think hage is suggesting, why 4 and maybe not ... another number of intervals? Think about the location of the droplets when the first hits the floor.

Maybe draw a diagram with the drops on it. The question states that when the first one hits the ground, the fourth is just about to start falling. So if there are two other drops in mid-air, how many intervals does that make?

There would be 3 intervals.

1st droplet from the ground to the 2nd (1)
2nd droplet to the 3rd, also in motion (2)
3rd droplet from the 4th about to fall (3)

Works :-] Thanks hage and t!m.

Last edited:

1. What causes the water drops to fall in the shower?

Gravity is the main force that causes water drops to fall in the shower. As the water flows from the showerhead, it is pulled down towards the ground by the Earth's gravitational pull.

2. Why do some water drops fall faster than others in the shower?

The size and shape of the water drops can affect how quickly they fall. Larger drops have more mass and are pulled down faster by gravity, while smaller drops with less mass fall at a slower rate.

3. How does the temperature of the water affect the falling drops in the shower?

The temperature of the water can affect the size of the water drops and how quickly they fall. Hot water tends to produce smaller drops that fall faster, while cold water produces larger drops that fall at a slower rate.

4. What causes the water drops to change direction in the shower?

As the water drops fall, they are affected by air resistance and can be pushed in different directions by air currents in the shower. Additionally, if the water droplets collide with each other or with other objects in the shower, it can cause them to change direction.

5. Why do some water drops stick to the walls of the shower while others fall to the ground?

The surface tension of the water droplets can cause them to stick to the walls of the shower. This tension is created by the attraction between the water molecules, and it can be influenced by factors such as the cleanliness of the shower walls and the type of material they are made of.