What is the magnitude of the acceleration of cylinder's com?

In summary, a constant horizontal force of 18 N is applied to a uniform solid cylinder with a mass of 19 kg and a radius of 0.11 m. The cylinder rolls smoothly on a horizontal surface. The magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass can be found by taking torque about the bottom point and applying the parallel axis theorem. The net torque equation should include all forces acting on the cylinder, with only one of them producing a torque about the contact point.
JessicaHelena

Homework Statement

In the figure below, a constant horizontal force
Farrowitalic.gif
app of magnitude 18 N is applied to a uniform solid cylinder by fishing line wrapped around the cylinder. The mass of the cylinder is 19 kg, its radius is 0.11 m, and the cylinder rolls smoothly on the horizontal surface.
(a) What is the magnitude of the acceleration of the center of mass of the cylinder?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused... I feel like I could use torque — I could set the bottom point as the origin, and then tau_net = 18 x 2 x 0.11 + F_cm x 0.11.
However, I couldn't really get further than that and I am really confused. Could someone help me?

Attachments

• cylinder prob.gif
    cylinder prob.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 346
  • Farrowitalic.gif
    Farrowitalic.gif
    80 bytes · Views: 618
Physics news on Phys.org
Taking torque about the bottom point is a convenient way of eliminating
the frictional force.
Are you familiar with the parallel axis theorem?
You can also apply Newton's equations about the center of mass
to eliminate the frictional force.

@J Hann — what's the parallel axis theorem?

JessicaHelena said:
@J Hann — what's the parallel axis theorem?
The moment of inertia I of a body about any axis is equal to the moment of inertia
I CM of the body about a parallel axis through its center of mass plus the mass M of the
body times the square of the perpendicular distance L between the axes:
I = Icm + M L^2.
For a cylinder about an edge I = 1/2 M R^2 + M R^2 = 3/2 M R^2

JessicaHelena said:
tau_net = 18 x 2 x 0.11 + F_cm x 0.11.

Taking the torque around the contact point was a very good idea. (Why?) However, your equation for the net torque is wrong. How many forces are there acting on the cylinder? And how many of those produce a torque about the contact point?

What is the magnitude of the acceleration of cylinder's com?

The magnitude of the acceleration of a cylinder's center of mass (COM) depends on several factors such as its mass, shape, and external forces acting on it. The acceleration can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, the magnitude of the acceleration of a cylinder's COM can vary depending on the specific circumstances.

How is the acceleration of a cylinder's com calculated?

The acceleration of a cylinder's COM can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where "a" represents the acceleration, "F" represents the net force acting on the cylinder, and "m" represents the mass of the cylinder. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the acceleration of an object is equal to the net force acting on it divided by its mass.

What factors affect the acceleration of a cylinder's com?

The acceleration of a cylinder's COM can be affected by various factors such as its mass, shape, and external forces acting on it. For example, a heavier cylinder will have a lower acceleration compared to a lighter one when the same force is applied to both. Additionally, the shape of the cylinder can also play a role in its acceleration, as objects with a larger surface area may experience more air resistance, which can affect their acceleration. External forces, such as friction and gravity, can also impact the acceleration of a cylinder's COM.

Why is the acceleration of a cylinder's com important?

The acceleration of a cylinder's COM is important because it helps us understand the motion of the object. By knowing the acceleration, we can predict how the cylinder will move and how it will interact with other objects. This information is crucial in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mechanics, and robotics.

Can the acceleration of a cylinder's com be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a cylinder's COM can be negative. This means that the cylinder is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the applied force. Negative acceleration can occur when there are external forces acting on the cylinder in the opposite direction of its motion, such as friction or air resistance. It can also occur when the net force acting on the cylinder is negative, meaning it is pulling or pushing the cylinder in the opposite direction of its motion.