What is the magnitude of the angular momentum of the bar?

In summary, the angular momentum of a bar with mass m and length b rotating about the axis through the midpoint is L=1/6mbv.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

A rigid, uniform bar with mass m and length b rotates about the axis passing through the midpoint of the bar perpendicular to the bar. The linear speed of the end points of the bar is v . What is the magnitude of the angular momentum of the bar?

Homework Equations

L=Iw
I=1/12(ML^(2) This L is the length.
v=wr

The Attempt at a Solution

L=1/12*m*B^(2)*w

v=wr
it says that the linear speed of the bar at the end points is v
When I first read that I automatically thought that I would have to double v=wr because it has two endpoints. However, that is wrong. Why is it that I am only supposed to use a single v=wr?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Toranc3! :smile:
Toranc3 said:
v=wr
it says that the linear speed of the bar at the end points is v
When I first read that I automatically thought that I would have to double v=wr because it has two endpoints. However, that is wrong. Why is it that I am only supposed to use a single v=wr?

v = ωr applies to the speed v of any point on the object at distance r from the centre of rotation

so v = ω(L/2) for one end, and v = ω(L/2) for the other end :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Toranc3! :smile:v = ωr applies to the speed v of any point on the object at distance r from the centre of rotation

so v = ω(L/2) for one end, and v = ω(L/2) for the other end :wink:

Hi tiny tim, thanks for replying.
So going back to angular momentum equation L=Iw, the omega applies only to a certain point of the rotation. Therefore when I substitute v=wr I am only replacing v/r=w at that certain point. So that is why I do not double it. Would it be correct to say that? The final answer is L=1/6mbv, forgot to add that in.

(try using the Quick Symbols box next to the Reply box :wink:)
Toranc3 said:
So going back to angular momentum equation L=Iw, the omega applies only to a certain point of the rotation. Therefore when I substitute v=wr I am only replacing v/r=w at that certain point.

no, ω is the same for every point of a rigid body

v is what varies :wink:

(ie the speed, v, is proportional to the distance, r, from the fixed point)

Well I am still not so sure why but I am going to put this error that I did in my head so I will not make the same error again. Thanks though

Related to What is the magnitude of the angular momentum of the bar?

1. What is angular momentum and how is it related to the bar?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around a fixed point or axis. In the case of a bar, it is the measure of the rotational motion of the bar around its center. It is related to the bar because the bar's rotation is what gives it angular momentum.

2. How is the magnitude of angular momentum of the bar calculated?

The magnitude of angular momentum of a bar is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia of the bar by its angular velocity. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to change in its rotational motion, while the angular velocity is the rate of change of the bar's angular position. The formula is L = I*ω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of angular momentum of the bar?

The magnitude of angular momentum of the bar is affected by its mass, moment of inertia, and angular velocity. The greater the mass or moment of inertia of the bar, the greater its angular momentum. Similarly, the faster the bar is rotating, the greater its angular momentum will be.

4. What are the units of angular momentum for a bar?

The units of angular momentum for a bar are kilogram-meter squared per second (kg·m^2/s). This is derived from the units of moment of inertia (kg·m^2) and angular velocity (rad/s) in the formula L = I*ω.

5. Can the magnitude of angular momentum of the bar change?

Yes, the magnitude of angular momentum of the bar can change. This can happen if there is a change in the bar's mass, moment of inertia, or angular velocity. Additionally, external forces or torques acting on the bar can also cause a change in its angular momentum. In a closed system, however, the total angular momentum will remain constant due to the law of conservation of angular momentum.