What is the magnitude of the induced EMF?

In summary, the equation for the area is irrelevant because B and A are constants and the field is perpendicular to the plane of the loop.
hidemi
Homework Statement
A rectangular wire loop (length = 60 cm, width = 40 cm) lies completely within a perpendicular and uniform magnetic field of magnitude of 0.5 T. If the length of the loop starts increasing at a rate of 20 mm/s at time t= 0, while the width is decreasing at the same rate, what is the magnitude of the inducede mf at time t= 4.0 s?
a.6.8 mV
b.5.2 mV
c.3.6 mV
d.8.4 mV
e.10 mV

Answer: C
Relevant Equations
dΦB/dt = dB/dt*A
I did the question in this way as attached. I got the crrect answer, but I feel unsure if it is the right way of doing it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to your equation there, Emf depends on the rate of change of flux, not on the flux itself.

So, where is the rate of change greatest? It helps to picture the sin or cos graph.

rsk said:
According to your equation there, Emf depends on the rate of change of flux, not on the flux itself.

So, where is the rate of change greatest? It helps to picture the sin or cos graph.
I typed the wrong question. I just edited and saved the question just now, could you read it again? thanks

I'd suggest you first compute the flux and later on, the derivative. You've made a mistake.

hidemi said:
Relevant Equations:: dΦB/dt = dB/dt*A
You mean dΦ/dt = dB/dt*A. This applies when B is changing and A is constant. But in this question B is constant and A changing. So the equation is irrelevant.

Try working through these steps.

1. Write an equation for the length (in metres) as a function of time (in seconds).

2. Similarly for width.

3. Using the above, write an expression for the area (in square metres) as a function of time.

4. Since the field is perpendicular to the plane of the loop ##\phi = BA##. Write an expression for ##\frac {d\Phi}{dt}## assuming both B and A are functions of time (use the product rule).

In this question B is constant and A is a function of time. So what is ##\frac {d\Phi}{dt}##?

See if you can take it from there.

Likes hidemi and Delta2
Steve4Physics said:
You mean dΦ/dt = dB/dt*A. This applies when B is changing and A is constant. But in this question B is constant and A changing. So the equation is irrelevant.

Try working through these steps.

1. Write an equation for the length (in metres) as a function of time (in seconds).

2. Similarly for width.

3. Using the above, write an expression for the area (in square metres) as a function of time.

4. Since the field is perpendicular to the plane of the loop ##\phi = BA##. Write an expression for ##\frac {d\Phi}{dt}## assuming both B and A are functions of time (use the product rule).

In this question B is constant and A is a function of time. So what is ##\frac {d\Phi}{dt}##?

See if you can take it from there.
I got it. Thank you so much.

Likes Steve4Physics

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF (electromotive force) is a phenomenon where a changing magnetic field creates an electric current in a conductor.

2. How is induced EMF calculated?

The magnitude of induced EMF is calculated using Faraday's law of induction, which states that the induced EMF is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a surface.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF?

The magnitude of induced EMF is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the changing magnetic field, and the number of turns in the conductor.

4. How is induced EMF used in everyday life?

Induced EMF is used in many devices such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology and induction cooktops.

5. Can induced EMF be harmful?

Induced EMF is generally not harmful to humans, as the levels produced by everyday devices are very low. However, exposure to high levels of induced EMF can have negative effects on the human body.