What is the Mass of Oxygen in a Leaking Tank?

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a welder fills a tank with oxygen and due to a leak, some of the oxygen escapes. The initial mass of the oxygen is calculated using the ideal gas law, but the incorrect use of gauge pressure and volume leads to an incorrect answer. The correct volume is 8.0 x 10^-2 m^3 and the correct gauge pressure is 2.80 x 10^5 Pa. The conversation ends with the request for the answer to the first question before attempting the second question.
CJIME017

Homework Statement

A welder using a tank of volume 8.00X10^-3 m^3 fills it with oxygen (with a molar mass of 32.0 g/mol) at a gauge pressure of 2.80×10^5 Pa and temperature of 39.0 Celsius. The tank has a small leak, and in time some of the oxygen leaks out. On a day when the temperature is 21.3 Celsius, the gauge pressure of the oxygen in the tank is 1.90×10^5 Pa.

1) Inital Mass of the Oxygen.
2) Find the mass of the oxygen that has leaked out.

Homework Equations

pV = nRT
n = [tex]pv/RT[/tex]
m = Mn; M = Molar Mass

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
n = [tex]pv/RT[/tex]
n = [tex](2.80*10^5)(.08)/(8.314)(312)[/tex] = 8.635 mol

m = Mn
m = (32 g/mol)(8.635 mol) = 276g = .276 kg

I got this answer and it was incorrect, I don't know where I went wrong...

2) I need the answer to 1) before I can attempt this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The method you applied is correct, but the gauge pressure is the pressure relative to the local atmospheric or ambient pressure, and you need the absolute pressure of the gas. The other mistake is that 8.00X10^-3 m^3 is not 0.08 m^3.

ehild

Ah yes, I'm sorry I didn't update the question, I figured it out already. And also, it was 8.0 x 10^-2 not -3, that was a mistake. Thank you for your time, I do appreciate it.

1. How is the mass of oxygen in a tank determined?

The mass of oxygen in a tank is determined by the weight of the tank and the volume of oxygen it contains. The weight of the tank can be measured using a scale, and the volume of oxygen can be calculated by multiplying the tank's dimensions.

2. Can the mass of oxygen in a tank change over time?

Yes, the mass of oxygen in a tank can change over time due to factors such as temperature and pressure. As the temperature increases, the oxygen molecules will expand and take up more space, resulting in a decrease in mass. Similarly, as the pressure increases, the oxygen molecules will be more densely packed and the mass will increase.

3. What units are used to measure the mass of oxygen in a tank?

The mass of oxygen in a tank is typically measured in kilograms (kg) or grams (g). In some cases, it may also be measured in pounds (lbs) or ounces (oz).

4. How does the mass of oxygen in a tank affect its performance?

The mass of oxygen in a tank is directly related to the amount of oxygen available for use. More mass means more oxygen, which can improve the tank's performance. However, too much mass can also make a tank heavier and more difficult to transport.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the mass of oxygen in a tank?

Yes, it is important to properly handle and store tanks with a high mass of oxygen. Oxygen is a highly flammable gas and can pose a safety risk if not handled correctly. It is important to follow all safety precautions and regulations when dealing with tanks containing oxygen.