What is the mass of the second child on a seesaw?

In summary, two children are balancing on a seesaw with one child having a mass of 30 kg and being seated 2.0 m from the pivot. The other child's mass is unknown but they are seated 2.5 m from the pivot. By using the equation Fg=mg and knowing that the net force is 0, we can set up an equation using the distance and torque (r=2.0 m and F=294N) to solve for the mass of the second child. The acceleration due to gravity is also a factor in this calculation.
jessica.so

Homework Statement

Two children balance on a seesaw. One, with a mass of 30 kg, is seated 2.0 m from the pivot. The other is seated 2.5 m from the pivot. What is the mass of the second child?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the diagram of the two children and I found the force of gravity acting on the first child:
Fg=mg ; Fg=(30 kg)(9.8 m/s/s) ; Fg = 294N

I know that the Net Force would be 0 because the seesaw is balanced.
And then...I don't know what to do...

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, so they both have the same acceleration acting on them [tex] g = 9.81ms^{-1} [/tex]

However they both have torques created by the distance from the pivot point.

We know that [tex] \tau = Fr [/tex]

So we're saying that [tex] (30)(9.8)(2.0) = (m)(9.8)(2.5) [/tex]

ohh okay! and then you would just isolate and...yaa! Thanks so much for your help! I really really appreciate it!

1. What is the formula for calculating the mass of a child on a seesaw?

The formula for calculating the mass of a child on a seesaw is: mass = (length of seesaw x weight of opposite side) / length of opposite side

2. How does the distance from the fulcrum affect the mass of a child on a seesaw?

The distance from the fulcrum affects the mass of a child on a seesaw because it determines the lever arm, which is the distance between the point of rotation (fulcrum) and the weight. The longer the lever arm, the less mass is needed to achieve balance.

3. Can the mass of a child on a seesaw affect the balance of the seesaw?

Yes, the mass of a child on a seesaw can affect the balance of the seesaw. The seesaw will be balanced when the weight on each side is equal. If one side has a greater mass, it will need to be closer to the fulcrum to achieve balance.

4. How does the weight distribution of the child affect the mass on a seesaw?

The weight distribution of the child affects the mass on a seesaw because it determines the center of mass. If the child's weight is not evenly distributed, it can shift the center of mass and affect the balance of the seesaw.

5. Does the mass of the seesaw itself affect the mass of a child on a seesaw?

Yes, the mass of the seesaw itself can affect the mass of a child on a seesaw. The heavier the seesaw, the more mass is needed on the lighter side to achieve balance. Also, a heavier seesaw may require more force to lift and move, making it more difficult for the child to use.