What is the maximum current in a RL circuit using V=IR?

skibidi
Homework Statement
The switch in a series RL circuit with a resistance of 5.8 Ω , inductance of 3.6 H, and
voltage of 23.7 V is closed at t = 0.5 s.
What is the maximum current in the circuit?
Answer in units of A.
Relevant Equations
I(f) = I(1-e^(-t/T))
I found the time constant using L/R and got 0.62s (3.6H/5.8ohms)
I found the initial current V/R and got 4.086A (23.7V/5.8ohms)

I(f) = 4.086A(1-e^(-0.5s/0.62s))
Then I plugged it into the equation and got 2.26A and it was wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
The exponential current response starts when the switch is closed at t=0.5 sec. That piece of information doesn't appear in your equation. Would you expect the same equation if it closed at t=1 sec, t= 100sec?

I suggest you draw a graph of that equation and compare it to your intuition about how the circuit will work.

Likes scottdave
skibidi said:
Homework Statement: The switch in a series RL circuit with a resistance of 5.8 Ω , inductance of 3.6 H, and
voltage of 23.7 V is closed at t = 0.5 s.
What is the maximum current in the circuit?
Answer in units of A.
Relevant Equations: I(f) = I(1-e^(-t/T))

4.086 A isn't the initial current

Likes scottdave
I found that to be the maximum current

Would I use the equation I used to solve for the current at a given time such as 1s.

The equation you wrote assumes the switch closes at t=?

So would t be the duration since 0.5s, Some t value - 0.5s

Let's say that I had to find the current at 1.1s, so would use the equation and substitute t for 0.6s.

Would it be either
I = 4.09A(1-e^(-1.1s/(L/R))
or I = 4.09A(1-e^(-0.6s/(L/R))

The second one was correct

Last edited:
I hate this so much...

Sketch a graph of the waveform ##v(t)=1-e^\frac{-t}{T}## versus ##t## where ##T## is a constant, like 0.6 sec. What (where) is it's maximum value?

Last edited:
Likes PhDeezNutz
skibidi said:
I hate this so much...
1. Don't give up! You are making a very simple mistake.

skibidi said:
Relevant Equations: I(f) = I(1-e^(-t/T))
2. How's your maths? Suppose the switch is closed at t=0. Can you look at this equation and say how big the current is at t=0? And can you say how big the current is a long time later (when t is very large)?

skibidi said:
I found the time constant using L/R and got 0.62s (3.6H/5.8ohms)
Ok. But the irony is that you don't need the time constant to answer the question! (You don't even need the value of L or the time at the switch is closed! They are 'red herrings'.)

skibidi said:
3. The initial current is not 4.086A. (If you were using a capacitor rather than an inductor, you would be correct. Maybe that was in the back of your mind.) With the inductor, what is the current the moment the switch is closed? (Hint - see item 2 above).

skibidi said:
I(f) = 4.086A(1-e^(-0.5s/0.62s))
Then I plugged it into the equation and got 2.26A and it was wrong
4. It should have been obvious that something was wrong!. 2.26A is smaller tha 4.086A. So 2.26A could not be the maximum (biggest) current!

5. Go back and read through the replies. @DaveE and @Gordianus were giving big hints. The question is really easy (no complicated maths) once you understand what's going on. Let us know if you're still stuck.

Likes SammyS and PhDeezNutz
skibidi said:
I hate this so much...
Why are you focused on the time constant? That's just a value of ##t## for a particular value of ##I##.

I suspect you are attempting success in the course using an answer-making strategy. But the entire purpose of the course is to get you to develop sense-making strategies.

This is the disconnect that's the cause of your frustration. Try to make sense of what's happening in that circuit, then the answer will come to you easily.

Develop that skill and you'll be successful in the course without those negative emotions like frustration and hate.

Likes nasu
For max current you literally only have to use the V=IR formula.

What is the maximum current in a RL circuit using V=IR?

The maximum current in a RL circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. To find the maximum current, simply divide the voltage by the resistance.

How does the inductance affect the maximum current in a RL circuit?

The inductance in a RL circuit affects the maximum current by creating a back EMF (electromotive force) that opposes the flow of current. This back EMF causes the current to rise more slowly than it would in a purely resistive circuit, resulting in a slower increase to the maximum current.

What happens to the maximum current if the resistance in a RL circuit is increased?

If the resistance in a RL circuit is increased, the maximum current will decrease. This is because a higher resistance will result in a larger voltage drop across the resistor, limiting the amount of current that can flow through the circuit.

How does the frequency of the AC power source affect the maximum current in a RL circuit?

The frequency of the AC power source affects the maximum current in a RL circuit by impacting the inductive reactance of the inductor. As the frequency increases, the inductive reactance also increases, limiting the flow of current and decreasing the maximum current in the circuit.

Is the maximum current in a RL circuit always reached instantaneously?

No, the maximum current in a RL circuit is not reached instantaneously. Due to the presence of inductance, the current rises more slowly in a RL circuit compared to a purely resistive circuit. The time it takes to reach the maximum current depends on the values of inductance, resistance, and voltage in the circuit.